Introducing The 535 Bugout

Love the Bugout...and the color for casual carry. But...I'd also like to have a black one, perhaps with a Rogue Bladeworks Wave G10 or CF scales.

So...thinking about getting a Bugout 535s (serrated) for this project, but... I have yet to see anyone post a pic of a serrated version that they own. Remind me again why the serrated version is so unpopular.

I have a grey bugout on order. It’s serrated because that’s easier for cutting twine at the farm.

Anyone else think the blade finish on the "satin" 535 is actually sort of a satin/stonewash hybrid?

Mine looks like a satin finish that's been lightly stonewashed.

I have a grey bugout on order. It’s serrated because that’s easier for cutting twine at the farm.
I ended up getting a second Bugout in serrated and dyed the scales of my original one black, which came out great. Really like the serrated version...still plenty of plain edge. You’ll like it!:thumbsup:

Handled a Bugout at my local Cabelas here in Canada tonight. I was very impressed. Might have to pick one up shortly seeing as my 940 is sent back for the omega springs replacement.

,,,Mike in Canada.

Anybody else hoping for a gold class version?

I'm a little late getting on the Bugout express but thought I'd post my impressions anyway.

S30v is a good steel for this knife, after all it wasn't designed as a gold class or expensive knife. So Benchmade hit the mark with it on steel.
The Grivory handle which I believe is like FRN, provides a good grip without shredding pockets. The inside of the grip is relieved to lighten it up. I can see why the “hard use folks” would think it feels cheep but they are missing the whole point of this knife. It is a wonderful EDC for what most probably use a knife for anyway. I actually think the knife would balance better if the scales were solid Grivory. Maybe someday I'll put after market scales on it.
I have no comments on the clip other than it gives my fingers a perch when rolling it open. I sheath carry so I'll let others describe the clip.
It was a little tight at first but it was smooth. I gave it a good dose of Rem oil and rolled it open and closed 50-60 times and it has broke in nicely. It's getting close to free falling, if it does I'll have to tighten it up a bit. I may be a minority here but I don't like flipping a knife open and I want full control of the blade when closing. There's no side to side play at all by the way.

The blade is so close to centered, I'm going to call it centered. It arrived toothy sharp with the bevels set at close to 18 DPS. I cut some cardboard and it's an amazing slicer, in fact as a knife it has one of Benchmades best blades. Ever.

I cut two 1/2” to 5/8” branches and 1 push cut on each side severed them with out effort, so this knife will handle EDC tasks just fine.

Good job Benchmade. :thumbsup:
w0CXMTT.jpg

I'm late to the game, I know, and preaching to the converted here, but I was recently bitten by the Bugout bug! Seems to be a pretty perfect EDC, and nicely fills the gap between my fullsized Grip and my sub 3'' knives. Also, the blade profile is just about perfect, very slicey (which I like for EDC purposes) with a cool swedge to boot.

Anyway, the only thing that was bugging me (sorry, I couldn't resist) was the Grivory handle. I'm sure it is plenty strong and all, I am just not a big fan of the way it feels in hand. Well, now I also found a solution to that: Just ordered a custom Bugout in OD micarta! Now the wait begins...

I have a Bugout and just love it (at least as far as a person can "love" a knife), and the "flexing" scales don't bother me at all. However, to scratch that itch so to speak for a more solid feel, I bought a 531. Basically the same knife but with nice G10 scales and a looker to boot with no flex.

Got the ranger bugout a while back and it hasn't left my pocket since. I'll carry premium blades with it but boy.. You'd think a small thin blade is something to handle with care but it's a capable blade if I ever saw one.

I've used it so damn much I've started to wear off the dlc coating and it looks amazing what with the matte dlc and the brown/greenish handles, with wear along the top of of the secondary bevel revealing a satin layer slowly going over to the dlc in a scratch like pattern-ish. I love the look of well used knives and the bugout is really pulling it off (sorry if my explanation is lacking. English is my third language.)

Also, took the clip off and put a piece of sturdy rope which I knotted every 2-3 cm and attached a Keychain ring to the end. I just reach in my pocket, put my middel finger through the ring and pull it out, gently swing it from the top of my hand to the inside of my palm and presto. The weight is perfect for such little customizations of personal preference.

I wish they did some more colors like the delica line, preferably in dlc blades. I really want another one but the light blue has no love here. If it were darker like the manix 2 S110V lw's I'd love it.

God knows they have a market for it. Every time I Check my Dutch market leaders site on blades its sold out

Last edited:
Got the ranger bugout a while back and it hasn't left my pocket since. I'll carry premium blades with it but boy.. You'd think a small thin blade is something to handle with care but it's a capable blade if I ever saw one.

I've used it so damn much I've started to wear off the dlc coating and it looks amazing what with the matte dlc and the brown/greenish handles, with wear along the top of of the secondary bevel revealing a satin layer slowly going over to the dlc in a scratch like pattern-ish. I love the look of well used knives and the bugout is really pulling it off (sorry if my explanation is lacking. English is my third language.)

Also, took the clip off and put a piece of sturdy rope which I knotted every 2-3 cm and attached a Keychain ring to the end. I just reach in my pocket, put my middel finger through the ring and pull it out, gently swing it from the top of my hand to the inside of my palm and presto. The weight is perfect for such little customizations of personal preference.

I wish they did some more colors like the delica line, preferably in dlc blades. I really want another one but the light blue has no love here. If it were darker like the manix 2 S110V lw's I'd love it.

God knows they have a market for it. Every time I Check my Dutch market leaders site on blades its sold out
Let's see some pictures! :)

Will do! Today it dropped off a shelf where I keep my tools a good 1.5m onto stone surface at my barn.. You leave your blade open for 2 min and people will get into action like clockwork. 'can I still borrow your toolbox?' haha. This just proved another point in favor of the bugout btw. I was expecting nasty chipping like I'm used from my 940s but Actually came out of it with the tiniest few chips and some rolled over steel. 5 min on the apex pro will fix this right up again! Will post photos later today I'm working on a deadline and I shouldn't even be raving over the bugout atm but I couldn't help myself haha!

Mines been dominating my pocket as well. I'm a big fan of the GRY with Ti scales. I haven't carried my original satin CF since I got it. Reprofiled both to 17dps and the S30v has been holding up well. My wallet is ready for one in M4 or even 20cv. I think this is the best platform Benchmade has ever put out.

oynAmiQ.jpg

Alright as you can see it's been places! I don't even mind the wear and scratches here and there, I think it gives it character. When I got it and saw how it held its own in use you would regularly get a stronger blade for, I kept carrying it and I'm very surprised it held up this well. Still no bladeplay, free falling lock.
x84U9Jo.jpg

Also I don't know if it's because of the new dlc bm uses, but when looking at it from a straight pov or slightly looking down at the blade it actually hides the wear as well
vBL1ubf.jpg

I still need to sharpen it properly, but I'm short on time. A few 20 strokes past medium sharpmaker rods at 40° nearly took all chips out (which were miniscule taking into account the height and surface..
This really is a great blade. Bm did well on the heat treat for sure.
E5f6QPR.jpg

Nice. I like how a good coating wears too.

I have always shunned coated knives and almost didn't buy the coated Bugout. I'm glad I did. The blade only needed to be wiped off but I thought it looked cool.

7Ed9dJ_n2S36jX5XN_oGDugjOD5x6uVei32COJRDsE_DgHnI1iMRFlCXFLiKxnOlOwO2BshUK0EpXiGNEjpNrJsyxyBEQrJYtjAEMMfxhriUhpE__K0HUN2lO8pUuwYhkWCqTdMHXnc=w2400

Last edited:
Nice pic BMC. I love the color combo of the gray PVD and the ranger green handles. It came out awesome.

Also, that gray PVD with the Ti handles is sweet! The thumb stud gives it just enough pop of color.

Nice pic BMC. I love the color combo of the gray PVD and the ranger green handles. It came out awesome.

Also, that gray PVD with the Ti handles is sweet! The thumb stud gives it just enough pop of color.

You can't see the pic? Should be there.

Back