Introducing the Cyborg Series sheaths

Very cool looking design. What are the advantages over a traditional full leather sheath?

Very cool looking design. What are the advantages over a traditional full leather sheath?

From the MAKER - "I feel the end result is is a sheath that has the retention & draw benefits of Kydex along with the warmth, comfort and wear qualities of leather."

And they are PIRTLEY too :cool:
'nuff said.

Ray

Posted these in a different thread, but they should be here too. Chad is an excellent craftsman and a great guy; this sheath is absolutely amazing. He made it to hang low and added a 'lamda' per my request to pay tribute to my Greek heritage (there's a Spartan line in my family). Besides doing excellent work, we exchanged over 70 emails, filled with friendly conversation.

Here are a couple of hasty (and thus crappy) cellphone pics in my kitchen:

2zppgki.jpg

1114k00.jpg

am5w75.jpg

Great snag Aias! Looks amazing, and glad you put the story behind the mark.

So Chad, you need an apprentice bro! I hope your little girl takes it up, that would be awesome! .... so when does she graduate again? LOLO!! :p:p

Son of a gun those look good Chad! I love leather sheaths, but I hate retaining straps that inevitably get cut. I think you just solved my problem brother :thumbsup: Cheers!

Great snag Aias! Looks amazing, and glad you put the story behind the mark.

So Chad, you need an apprentice bro! I hope your little girl takes it up, that would be awesome! .... so when does she graduate again? LOLO!! :p:p

Thanks man--Chad did an amazing job.

If I am seeing things right, it looks like you have the option to remove the kydex portion to have just a leather sheath if you wanted to?
Either way that is a very good looking design! :)

Wow, thanks everyone for the overwhelming response!

Just to answer some of the questions..

"Can you do some with kydex on the (back) for modular belt attachment options?"
Yes, I am currently playing with some options like this as well as options for interchanging carry methods like a paddle option for quick on/off. Currently all leather sheaths can be set up to support systems like a Tek-Lok or Molle-Lok using embedded T-nuts. I have an order in process now that will be able to change from drop loop Baldric carry to Tek-Lok carry by removing two screws.

"I foresee a substantial modification of my scout carry sheath..."
My offer still stands to remake your sheath since your knife was reground, just get it all boxed up and send it along, we'll work out the details brother!

"What are the advantages over a traditional full leather sheath?"
I think this is a completely reasonable question to ask. The main advantage is, as others have pointed out, more retention. Anyone who has one of my fully molded leather models knows they have pretty good retention as it is. The Cyborg option would be for those who want near full kydex retention but don't want a strap. I don't like keeper straps but in some cases they are a necessary evil when working with leather, my goal is to minimize the need for them whenever possible.

Beyond that and more superficially, they are a more aggressive look and allow for additional levels of creativity and innovation. Look at the incredible work Dave Brown is doing with Kydex and taking it to the next level with laser engraving, zombie skins, tattoos and general kickassery. I think leather needs more of that innovation.

Ultimately it's about what people like and want to buy, I have no plans to stop making my regular all leather sheaths, this is just another option. My company motto is "Not your grandfathers leather" and I plan to keep that in the forefront whenever I develop new gear.

"Besides doing excellent work, we exchanged over 70 emails, filled with friendly conversation."

Aias, it was a pleasure working with you and I'm glad you are happy with the outcome. I really appreciate you taking a leap of faith on this build when all I had to give you was a description of what I had in mind.

"I hope your little girl takes it up, that would be awesome! .... so when does she graduate again? LOLO!! :p:p"

Hah! She just turned 4 in October but already has a healthy love and respect for knives.. and a critical eye for what she likes and doesn't like. It's become a fun exercise to get her opinion when something new arrives. She is welcome to start learning whenever she is ready, polishing edges sounds like a good start :)

"If I am seeing things right, it looks like you have the option to remove the kydex portion to have just a leather sheath if you wanted to?"

Yes, you could do that, but on smaller blades you would want to add a retention strap. These are wet molded like all of my sheaths but do not have leather up on the scales for full retention.

Thanks again everyone, truly appreciate the continued support. I've been guarded against mentioning it in a public forum but plans are in the works to go full time this fall.. we shall see :)

Back