Introducing the "Finesse Filet"

David Mary

pass the mustard - after you cut it
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Good afternoon friends. T TDOG1 has broad experience with many filet knife designs, and they have all left him wanting in some regard, so he was kind enough to reach out to me for a collaboration, and provided many insights into what makes a good filet knife, suited to his own vast use and experience.

Today I have a working prototype of the Finesse Filet and am excited to present it. The name and almost the entire design were selected by him: a semi flex filet knife more suited to actually fileting, rather than skinning. The blade is 3/32" AEB-L at RC 63, and the handle scales are python canvas Micarta. Thanks for looking!

IMG_0219.JPG
IMG_0225.JPG
IMG_0227.JPG
IMG_0226.JPG
IMG_0220.JPG
IMG_0221.JPG
IMG_0222.JPG
IMG_0223.JPG

Good afternoon friends. T TDOG1 has broad experience with many filet knife designs, and they have all left him wanting in some regard, so he was kind enough to reach out to me for a collaboration, and provided many insights into what makes a good filet knife, suited to his vast own use and experience.

Today I have a working prototype of the Finesse Filet and am excited to present it. The name and almost the entire design were selected by him: a semi flex filet knife more suited to actually fileting, rather than skinning. The blade is 3/32" AEB-L at RC 63, and the handle scales are python canvas Micarta. Thanks for looking!

View attachment 1534484
View attachment 1534489
View attachment 1534483
View attachment 1534490
View attachment 1534485
View attachment 1534486
View attachment 1534487
View attachment 1534488

David, just wanted to follow up on the finesse fillet knife you made me. A VERY nice knife. Used it today to fillet my limit of speckled perch (crappie) 25 and two bass prox 2lb. each. Knife worked extremely well. Great in the hand. Comfortable and fast. The tip on a fillet knife is really important....you got it right. It allows for precision cutting along the backbone. Upon finishing, I could just about see thru the fish carcasses (which you want.) The blade geometry and profile just works. I wondered if the blade was a bit much upswept towards the tip however it too is works VERY well.(Attributed to good blade geometry)

The Kydex sheath has excellent retention, the push-off allows for easy removal of the knife, and the opening/hole at the bottom of the sheath allows for good drainage if water should get in. After filleting 27 fish, the blade still remained very sharp. Probably could have filleted another 25 and still been sharp. You know how to create a great edge.

The nice thing about a knife this size (cutting edge 6 1/2 inches) is that it can be used for smaller and larger fish. Looking forward to filleting some mahi, snapper, and grouper with this. I called this the finesse fillet because I prefer to ride over the ribcage bones rather that cut thru them. Saves the step of removal and eliminates the chances of chipping the blade on larger bones. A well made knife (which this is) makes it easy. Overall this is just an excellent knife. Thanks you sir. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the kind words and for posting your review here. I truly appreciate it, and also the pic you emailed me!

IMG_0570.jpg

I liked the prototype posted here and ordered a similar blade from David. He had it done very quickly and shipped very quickly too. While I haven't yet given it the crappie test (as i intend) it looks and feels amazing. I can just tell it is going to do a fine job. The sheath is very nice too. Hats off to you TDOG1 for the design collaboration and to David for the fine craftsmanship and top notch customer service.

I liked the prototype posted here and ordered a similar blade from David. He had it done very quickly and shipped very quickly too. While I haven't yet given it the crappie test (as i intend) it looks and feels amazing. I can just tell it is going to do a fine job. The sheath is very nice too. Hats off to you TDOG1 for the design collaboration and to David for the fine craftsmanship and top notch customer service.
Thank you sir, hope you enjoy your knife as much as I'm enjoying mine. David really does have the ability to create a fine edge.

Back