Introducing the Sebenza 31! (21 Is Being Discontinued)

Edge retention and corrosion resistance are the two most important traits for any blade. M390 is vastly superior in both respects.

A steel that is easier to sharpen just means more frequent sharpenings. I've never considered that a positive. If I'm breaking out the Wicked Edge to sharpen, M390 might take an extra 15-20 minutes compared to S35VN, but it'll hold that edge much, much longer.

All things considered, for the typical use case of a pocket knife, M390 is objectively better steel. Introducing a new model in 2019 would have been a great chance to upgrade.

M390 won't hold a shaving edge longer than S35VN. It only holds a barely sharp edge for longer. I don't know about you, but I like to keep my knives sharp. So whether or not they will hold a dull edge for longer doesn't make a difference to me. How often do you find yourself battling corrosion on your S35VN? I never have. On the other hand S35VN has better edge stability and chips less than M390. M390 was developed as a steel used for plastic molds, S35VN was developed as a cutlery steel. This isn't a coincidence.

Reactions: P2P
On user knives I prefer easier to sharpen steels - s35vn IMO offers a great balance of qualities
For EDC I like higher end steels like s110v, m390, etc. Because I don’t want to sharpen them as much

As I use my CRK I am fine with s35vn

By the way a 20cv CRK would be exciting but I am not sure it will be a good move
Either CRK take part to the development of a new steel like they did in the past or I prefer them to stay on s35vn

I like Emerson to use 154cm, it is a cheap steel but it is part of the vision of the manufacturer of what is required for using its knives
I like the designer / manufacturer not to run after the last high end stuff but to stay true to its vision

Reactions: P2P
I give whatever knife I carried the most about two or three swipes on the Sharpmaker fine rods every week regardless of steel, maybe five on something harder like ZDP. Definitely easier than having to resharpen from the beginning. Love the hollow grind on the Sebenza. It always shaves no matter what.

Anything S30V or above I am good with. Really would love to have heard they were offering BG42.

I fell into the rabbit hole of super steels awhile back. 20cv was probably my favorite. M390 definitely chipped easily for me. At the end of the day, s35vn does everything I want/need it to do and then some. For realistic edc purposes, I do not need anything other than s35vn. I touch it up as needed which is about once a week. Sometimes every few days I’ll strop it with some black and then green compound.

I hope to take some better pics soon.

Glad you are keeping it. If I stood in like that long like you did, I would keep it as well. I don’t go to anything (Christmas shopping for the new rare toy, Air Jordan’s or anything) to flip them as a job or side job for my livelihood. I dislike the flipping greatly. Congrats on your 31. I will get one someday when they are in stock.

On a side note, when GRIMSMO knives were selling for $550-650 and demand was high, they got upset with the instant flipping on eBay. Knives they made with the born on date were put on eBay within a week of them shipping it for double the price. That’s why I heard they jacked the price up. I know CRK is a large company compared r the 6 person crew at Grimsmo but I am sure CRK doesn’t appreciate it either.

Wish they released a few an hour instead of selling all of them at the start in the morning on Friday. Or a lottery system. That way people don’t waste their time in line.

Maybe I’m wrong.

Glad you are keeping it. If I stood in like that long like you did, I would keep it as well. I don’t go to anything (Christmas shopping for the new rare toy, Air Jordan’s or anything) to flip them as a job or side job for my livelihood. I dislike the flipping greatly. Congrats on your 31. I will get one someday when they are in stock.

On a side note, when GRIMSMO knives were selling for $550-650 and demand was high, they got upset with the instant flipping on eBay. Knives they made with the born on date were put on eBay within a week of them shipping it for double the price. That’s why I heard they jacked the price up. I know CRK is a large company compared r the 6 person crew at Grimsmo but I am sure CRK doesn’t appreciate it either.

Wish they released a few an hour instead of selling all of them at the start in the morning on Friday. Or a lottery system. That way people don’t waste their time in line.

Maybe I’m wrong.
As I said in my previous post, to each his own. Once the knife is sold, the individual is free to do what they want with it. I don’t personally like it, but it happens. And if folks are willing to pay inflated prices for an immediate re-sale, then so be it. Supply and demand and all that jazz.

However, if someone is going to wait in that line for the purpose of snagging everything they can with the intention of instantly flipping it to make money, then the average Joe who really wants to add one to their collection will miss out on the chance to buy a first production 31 at a fair price. That’s where my issue lies. I’m not a big-time collector, and my arsenal of CRKs is modest compared to others. I am very thankful to have gotten it, and I feel for the folks who missed out after waiting for so long.

Some makers separate their high demand knives to be able to offer some on each day of Blade. I fully support this strategy also.

I like Emerson to use 154cm, it is a cheap steel but it is part of the vision of the manufacturer of what is required for using its knives
I like the designer / manufacturer not to run after the last high end stuff but to stay true to its vision

This is kinda funny. 154cm is a nice steel, but everyone except Earnest Emerson thinks it is a cheap steel. Selling his knives with 154cm in the $200 range is anything but cheap. I got one of his limited edition Sheepdog knives with S35VN. Combining the excellent Emerson design with an excellent steel.

For a user I like 154cm quite a lot
I prefer s35vn for higher end user but nothing wrong with a good g10+154cm folder

I like the materials to be in line with the purpose of knife :)

That is what in the knives from CRK, Emerson or Hinderer

Nice knife i'm sure it will be popular. Still tho, no double lugs as standard? Feel like this should be factory standard on the base model, there is literally no reason to not have it.

I’ll admit I was bummed to hear the 21 is discontinued. But after seeing these pictures of the 31, it looks just like the 21. And I do like the ceramic ball lock bar. I loved every inkosi I have had. So this looks like a win.
Minutes also a reason to never part with my small 21

I'm surprised the 31 still has the classic stop pin assembly instead of the fat one from the Inkosi.

Back