Introduction: 4+ Years in the Making

After 4+ years of lurking I thought I'd finally “officially” say hello. I was introduced to Fiddleback Forge in 2011 via an Equip2Endure Bladeshow video. I've wanted a Fiddleback for many many years but at the time #1 couldn't imagine spending more than $200 on a blade and #2 couldn't really afford it. Through the years I've had periods where I've checked in on Fiddleback Fridays fantasizing about what I would buy if I was able. I've historically been more of a folder person (as I live in California where carrying a concealed fixed blade is a felony) & have really only carried a fixed blade when camping, hiking etc. I have handful of old fixed that were passed down (ex old Solingen knives from Germany), an old Puma White Hunter, a beat up USMC Kbar, and some other misc stuff. I've handled several dozen different knives over the years but have a hell of a time finding blades that are comfortable in my hand. I wear a L/XL glove and basically have an XL palm and average length fingers... you wouldn't think so but it makes finding a comfy blade a pain in the ass. Honestly, for actual outdoor use, my combo of choice has long been a simple mora paired with a Becker BK9. Between those two I can do almost anything... however, I have long wanted a custom 4' incher to be MY blade and be something special. Beyond the killer looks of Fiddlebacks I've long been allured by the promise of the ever elusive comfortable handle.

Last Summer, after probably a year or so of not checking out the forum, I hopped on one Friday and was shocked to see how quickly blades were selling out. Gone were the days when you could take your time and pick out what you wanted and the bulk of knives were gone in a matter of minutes. As you can guess, I was kicking myself for not picking up a few blades back in the day. I decided right then and there that I had to have one and soon after picked up a 1/8 Bushfinger in Black Shadetree from Kirkwood, which to date is the most comfortable knife I own. Since then, I have caught the infamous Fiddleback bug and have sold off all sorts of crap I've had sitting around to fund my Fiddleback habit. I'm slowly working my way through Bushfingers trying to find the one I want to keep. I also just picked up my first Bushcrafters (1/8 in Tuxedo) which I'm sad to say is just a tad too thin & will soon be looking for to trade it for another Bushcrafter with a slightly thicker handle). I feel like Andy's blades carry the same fun and excitement of baseball cards back in the day and love the idea of trading/selling them. I'm grateful that the forum and community here afford us all the ability to trade/sell our blades so we have the ability to sample a wide variety of models/style without the breaking the bank + it's a blast to always be on the hunt for the “perfect” blade (

Lastly, I just wanted to say thank you to all of you for providing this awesome community. I've learned so much about knives, steel, maintenance, bladecraft, camping, the outdoors, etc etc. I look forward to taking a more active role in contributing my own experiences and look forward to getting to know everyone better.

Cheers guys!

-Derek

Attachments

• 0624151519.jpg
    0624151519.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 49
  • 0624151511.jpg
    0624151511.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 59
Cheers Derek, and welcome to the community. The crew puts out thicker handled models now and then because they know there are some fellows around here with larger hands. Just keep an eye on the descriptions in the posts. Thurin has one of the thickest handled Bushfingers I have ever seen. I would suggest sticking with full thickness tangs if a larger handle is what you seek. The tapers have a tendency to run on the thinner side.

Back