1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Introduction and Boomerang review

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by Jikidahou, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Jikidahou

Jikidahou

Apr 21, 2006
    Hello to All,

I have been a major HI fan for a couple of years now, I discovered the site after Uncle Bill's passing but was continually aware of his work and presence in every blade and every post in this forum. I'm not a big forum guy but I was drawn to the HI forum by the member's respect for the blades and the culture they come from. And of course for each other!

I have learned A LOT reading new and old posts... thanks to all who put effort into gathering all this information.

And then there is Yangdu! Always a joy to deal with and amazingly efficient at running her business. Recently I received a 15 inch, 22 ounce Boomerang by Vim, with a walnut handle and Yangdu asked me to write a small review since it is a new model. For Yangdu even an old lurker like me will come out of the shadows--- please bear with me since this is my first attempt at posting photos.

But first let me mention a few of my favorite blades:

After much research ( reading those threads), my first khukuri was a 16.5 inch, 22 ounce WWII by Sher with a sissau wood handle. This blade still ranks near the top of one of my best choppers. By the way, all of my blades are working blades, they ask to be used.

My 18 inch, 28 ounce Ang Khola by Bura was a DOTD with a split scabbard and chipped horn handle, but with a little work taught me what fierce choppers Ang Kholas are.

I am kind of a Gelbu Special freak, they are so nice to look at but also great workhorses, I have two--- a 17-3/4 inch and a 21 inch model, both by Bura.

The blade I feel a connection with and take out more than the others is a 17 inch Ganga Ram Special by Bura, wood handled and no karda, chakma or scabbard. Here's a pic of the horsehide scabbard I came up with with a pocket for a small locking folder.

[​IMG]

We live near Portland, Oregon and this Winter has been a chopper's dream with all the wind storms we have had. Here is a picture of the coast hills after hurricanne force winds. Those are 40 to 80 foot trees that have been popped like sticks as the wind passed. Lots of nice green wood...

[​IMG]

A small review of a Boomerang by Vim:

Here is a pic of the blade and scabbard, fit and finish very good, I think the handle is walnut.

[​IMG]

This was my first experience with a Chiruwa style handle and I I noticed a bit more vibration coming up my arm. But the design excels as a chopper, and is comfortable to use.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The size (15 inches) makes for a very practical user and easy to carry. There has been a lot of discussion about the 15 inch blade being a classic middle size and after trying this blade, I understand. Very comfortable in the hand and like Hollowdweller mentioned in his review, the sharp angle of the blade makes it easy to work your way around the wood.

[​IMG]

The edge held up very well after going through both green and seasoned wood. Here is a closeup of the edge after cleaning up with scotchbright. I prefer the villager finish...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To my eye there seems to be a lot of work involves in shaping this blade, but it is well worth it, you can feel the balance in the swing. I hope that Hollowdweller's passaround of his Boomerang will turn people on to the potential of this wonderful blade. Thanks for listening and nice to meet'cha.

[​IMG]

2. markksr

markksr

Mar 15, 2007
    Howdy,

Brother, my CAK makes me want to chop stuff also, but, for Pete's sake, leave some trees standing :eek: ;) :D...

Great pics, thanks for sharing them.:thumbup:

3. ferguson

ferguson

Feb 21, 2001
    Welcome, and great report from the field.

Man, that wind snapped all of those trees off like toothpicks! :eek:

Thanks!
    Steve

4. ilbruche

ilbruche

Jun 19, 2007
    Nice review and pictures. :thumbup: :D

All these boomerang reviews aren't helping my HIKV. ;)

5. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    Welcome! Fantastic review of the new model.

I'm saving my pennies to get a boomerang in the future. It looks like the love child of a Chiruwa AK and an M-43. A real beauty of a workhorse:thumbup:

We're glad to have you posting here:)

6. hollowdweller

hollowdweller

Sep 22, 2003
    Nice Ganga Sheath:thumbup:

7. Ad Astra

Ad Astra

Jul 30, 2004
    Nice pix, reviews; good stuff!

Welcome, eh? :cool:

Mike

8. Yangdu

Yangdu [email protected] Himalayan Imports-Owner Moderator

Apr 5, 2005
    Great review and pictures, thank you Jikidahou

9. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    Well a bit of good Karma was bestowed upon me, and I have graciously been given the opportunity to try out one of these beautiful knives first hand. The postman just delivered it not 15 minutes ago:D

I'm going to post my initial thoughts on this one here instead of making another thread.

First of all, I really think that HI is on to something here with the boomerang. I know I say that a lot, but this one of those blades where it really feels like both form and function have been merged into one very beautiful yet very capable blade.

Here are some measurements:
    The overall length is 15 and 1/16th inches long.
    Of the total length the blade is 9 and 3/4 long. The handle on this one is a generous 6-ish inches including the bolster.
    The spine is just over 3/8" thick at the bolster and roughly keeps this thickness until the break of the spine.
    Like I have said before, this knife looks like a cross between an M-43 and a CAK. What I wasn't expecting is that it balances very much like a cross between the two as well. Its curve makes it very weight forward when you swing it. However, at rest in the hand the longish grip give it a very neutral and balanced feel in the hand. I don't know how else to describe it other than "unique".

One thing that I personally LOVE is that the handle forgos the rings found on the CAK and keeps the handle smooth like the M-43...except much longer (or at least straighter) with the ability to have better grip options. The grip is neither too fat nor too thin. Really, it feels like it was just made for my hand.

The long story short is that HI has a winner here. While I haven't chopped anything with it yet, this blade feels very good in the hand. It is going to handle most any work you would stack up against a 15" AK with flying colors. Vim has really outdone himself. I can tell that his fit and finish are starting to improve as well. I have a very special 14" Chit bowie by him that while well done really needed a little extra care in the finishing department. This one is nearly immaculate. I don't know how to describe it, but it FEELS like a combination of Sher and Kumar. It has a lot of the "business" that Sher is known to put into his blades, but the styling of the edge and other aesthetics reminds me a lot of Kumar's work. This is a fantastic blade that I would most assuredly recommend to anyone wanting a packable nuke-proof dynamo:thumbup:

Thank you so much to Yangdu for letting me handle one of these very fine pieces of functioning art, and a big pat on the back to Vim. Great work, sir. HI is lucky to have your skill at the shop.

10. Jikidahou

Jikidahou

Apr 21, 2006
    Thanks for the warm welcome, I look forward to posting a little more often than every two years.:D

I forgot to mention that my preferred sharpening method for my khuks is a broken in fine belt on my Delta 1x42 inch belt sander. I use the slack belt technique as demonstrated by Dan Koster. A couple passes on the belt and a few swipes on my leather strop charged with green compound keeps the edges right where I like them.

In the field I have a tin box setup with a mousepad on one side and leather on the other, The box holds various grits of black sandpaper, I'm sure I got the idea from this forum.

Jake, looking forward to seeing how you like the Boomerang, and yes, the smooth handle is nice for a change!
    -----------------------
    Chris

11. moblues

moblues

Jan 20, 2007
    Nice review. I'm working with my Boomerang right now. Already sliced the finger by accident. Boy howdy! That bugger was sharp.

12. Yangdu

Yangdu [email protected] Himalayan Imports-Owner Moderator

Apr 5, 2005
    Thank you for the good thoughts, Jake