IP Adresses showing on posts ALL READ

For right now, I think that we will keep the IP's in plain sight.

The reasons for this are as follows:
<ol>[*]The people here, as a rule, typically do not post messages which tend to rile others up, so if they were attacked, most likely it would be a random act, not well thought out revenge scheme.
[*]Having the IP address visible acts as a deterrent.
[*]Having it logged, but not visible (an option) doesn't provide as much of a deterrent.
[*]Security issues for people using dedicated lines, again, strike me as minor: yes, there is a risk, but looking at how likely it is to happen is another matter. If someone does get attacked and their machine hacked as a direct result of their IP address being displayed here we may turn it off, but if security is that much of an issue for you, I'd recommend better firewall software like mentioned above. Ping attacks, SYN floods, and all the rest can be blocked, and those of you concerned by this due to your machine connections should know way's to do so.</li>[/list=a]

Anyhow, I appreciate all of the comments made so far, and we will keep all of this in mind, but lets' not panic before the emergency, ok?

Also, those of you checking BladeForums.com out at work, shouldn't you be using a seperate dialup instead of company resources?
biggrin.gif
Just kidding! I'm so glad I left the corporate scene....

Spark

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg
SysOp and Administrator for BladeForums.com

Insert witty quip here

No problem here with showing IP# but to make all happy, maybe if it just didnt show up for all to see.

~Keith~

Ok, let me be the one....

I prefer my IP not to be shown.
I've been on the net for a long time and seen what people who dont like you can do with an IP. Not that anyone doesnt like any of us, and its true that with a dynamic IP once you reconnect you have a different IP, I still prefer it not to be shown.

------------------
Some Kind Of Wonderfull

I don't care about the IP addresses being shown except in the Rec.KnivesII forum. _To me_, it defeats the purpose. I doubt you can just turn it off in one forum but, I just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

Bernie

It doesn't bother me at all. I don't own a computer at this time so I am forced to use the one at work.
Anyone wanting to hack this system is welcome to test the patience and (ha ha) the forgiving nature of Uncle Sam.

------------------
Norwegian Misfit

"For the word of GOD is quick and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword...." Hebrews 4:12

I rather not see the IP address. I think the posts have a cleaner look with out them.
As for the argument of being a deterent, this sounds alot like gun control. It will not stop a hacker that knows anything about computers or the net.
db
Tag lines suck

I too would rather not have my IP address showing.

------------------

Win
Knife lover, Philosopher, Humanitarian, and All-around nice guy
(all right, so I'm just a knife lover)

No prob with my IP showing. Heck I agree it makes the Flamers think twice. As for one worm, I would pay extra for a duo! It is more fun to share! Might as well get sick with a friend....

I can't say I'm impressed by the arguments for either side of this. How many trolls are there who don't know every website they go to knows their IP address (unless they mask it with well-known servers such as www.anonymizer.com) and yet have any notion what an IP address is? In order to be deterred a troll would have to have the computer literacy of a low-grade moron and yet not a complete idiot -- a narrow range.

As for compromising security for members, anybody who has the ability to launch any kind of attack on your system that requires knowing your IP address must surely already know how to find it out, most likely in a matter of seconds with a DNS lookup. There are various ways you can protect your system from crackers, but keeping your IP address secret is not one of them -- that just isn't possible.

It could deter a narrow range of stupid trolls and it clutters up the screen a little. It's not worth getting excited about either way, IMHO.

-Cougar Allen :{)

Back