Is a dull knife more dangerous than a sharp one?

A dull knife is more dangerous than a sharp one.
While a dull knife is not sharp, it can still cut - so it's still a cutting tool, but lacks some properties that is should have.
It's not easy to cut with little force or to controll it properly.
I like my rolls for breakfast cut clean, so I can spread butter - not the mess, that a dull knife leaves.
A knife should always be handled with due respect.
red mag

Not always.

Hand a non-knife person a "razor sharp" knife, there's more chance they will cut themselves. Same goes for children, are the dull table knives or steak knives they usually handle more dangerous than a screaming sharp blade?

In addition I've cut myself on "razor sharp" knives a lot more than with dull knives. One could argue you won't cut yourself if you handle the knife safely and properly but that would also be true for a dull knife.

There's truth to the statement but it's not true in every situation, it's an old saying but it's not gospel.

Interesting analogy, but then there is another angle of practice - any tool in wrong hands is disaster, knife or not. My 7 yr old has been taught to handle knives, and she slices through a tomato with ease. One cannot handle a dull knife safely, because of loss of control - the only safe way to handle a dull knife is not use it. No cuts. ;-)

You guys are forgetting that a sharp knife is only sharp at the edge, and that you would be unlikely to cut yourself on the shoulder of the edge. A dull blade has what is basically an uneven burr and can have a moderately sharp shoulder, therefore the edge of a dull knife is not the only part that can do damage. I expect this could be dangerous for chefs especially as they hold their fingers very close to what they are cutting, therefore they could simply get cut by the shoulder. Just a thought.

Dull knife.
You tend to slip off way more often.
And a cut from a sharp knife closes in 2 days ... vs. the one from a dull knife can take weeks!
(and this is talking from LOTS of ecperience!
Just have some band-aids and something for desinfection ready ;)

Neither a sharp knife or dull knife is dangerous, its PEOPLE that are the dangerous ones.

Neither a sharp knife or dull knife is dangerous, its PEOPLE that are the dangerous ones.

This as well! Always remember "Romeo must die!":
"Weapons do not kill people! People kill people! Like those two up there with those machine guns!" ;)

Dull knife is also more dangerous because when it's dull and you know it, you tend to use more force than necessary and that's where it can glance off item and into your very soft flesh.

Most people, when given a very sharp knife, will use it, observe scary sharpness, and will baby the knife.

Yes , dull knife is more dangerous .
and it shows what owner dont know how to use tools properly ( most of the time) ,
People who know how to use tools usually keeping them in good condition , because they know how much good sharp tool worth .

Back