Is a knife a tool with an edge or a weapon?

If you look closely at a machete, while it has been often used as a weapon ( and a fearsome weapon) it is really designed to be used for cutting and chopping vegetation. Another similar tool comes to mind- chainsaws, awsome tool, and a fearsome weapon aswell.

I would say that my knives are tools. That's all I've ever used them for, and that's all I intend on using them for, but there are definitely gray areas. What about balisongs, gravity knives, AO knives... What about a 2'' slipjoint vs. a 2'' locking blade vs. a 2'' switchblade. Tool or not, I do think that some knives are more suited for use as weapons then others. Personaly, I think that it's all about perception. That's why it's so important that knife users who care about thier blades and thier right to carry need to use our tools responsibly and spread the concept of the knife as a tool. My mother in law flinched when she saw my 3'' folder but she thinks nothing of the 8'' chef's knife in the block on her counter. It's all about perception.

My mother in law flinched when she saw my 3'' folder but she thinks nothing of the 8'' chef's knife in the block on her counter. It's all about perception.

my mom does the same thing whenever she sees my balisong which at this very moment I am using to cut cheese.

Wasn't there an ancient weapon called "war hammer"? It's all a matter of education: ANY tool can be used as a weapon by a motivated person.
And ANYTHING can be used as a weapon by a trained person. And when I say "anything" I mean it. I remember I've seen a fight among a few gypsies (not a big deal, it happens all the time here among them) and one of them took a 5 or 6 years old child from his feet and used him to club down his enemies. :eek: One of them received a child's head in the chest and the next moment he was down to the ground... I guess the child wasn't very happy after the fight either but who cares? The man made his point (which was NOT that everything can be used as a weapon). :rolleyes:

It is a tool that can be used as a weapon. It is a item that is used for utility thousands upon thousands of times for every act of violence committed with a knife. The vast majority of tools out there can be used as weapons but a lot of weapons cant be used as tools. Unfortunately most Leo's don't look at it this way.

I work in nuclear security, and the majority of my co-workers carry a folder of one type or another. I see them (as well as myself), using them on a regular basis, for slicing food items, opening bags and packages, trimming loose threads off their uniforms, etc. Do I think those knives could/would be called into service for self-defense in the event of an attack? Yes. Until that happens, they are reliable companions as tools.

As a tool, as a weapon, as a item that gives peace of mind.

I've been carrying a knife ever since I was 11-12 years old... I figured out a few things.

1) When you don't have a knife you'll need to cut something

2) When someone or someones come up looking for trouble you definitely have an advantage if need be. Not that I wanna rip someone up but if its me or him its definitely going to be him.

First and foremost its a tool though, it annoys me when on the job and people constantly want to borrow my knife... The thought of being as under prepared as some people is not a pleasant thought.

A weapon is a tool that you hope you'll never have to use. And, no, I don't have to justify owning and carrying it.

a knife is a tool. like any other tool, however, it can be designed for the single purpose of being a weapon, much like hammers and axes.

A knife is a tool and a very effective and versatile one. Self-defense is just one of the thousands tasks knives are suited for. If your stuck on a island you would want a knife. I've solved hundreds of problems with my knife, which is why I keep one by my side.

Interesting that most "weapons", such as army bayonets, have traditionally had a point only,.....with no edge to speak of.

I have several on lengths up to a couple of feet (French,....and used very little as you might have expected!:D),.....and none of them have a cutting edge finer than about 1/16 inch.

I always heard the reason was because if you ever had to use it, you really didn't want to kill the guy,......only seriously wound him. This way you tied him up AND a few other guys,...... to carry him off and tend to him. :cool:

It's a tool.. A knife is no more a weapon than your finger is.

I'm sure that most folks here have known of someone who is a martial arts pro or proficient in hand to hand combat and have to worry about conflict because they could be put away for murder because their hands are considered deadly weapons.

I mean there are plenty of "weapons". Is a car an automobile?? Or a Weapon??

Is a plastic bag a storage pouch or a weapon??

Is a fork an eating utensil or a weapon???

My point is.... Pretty much everything can be a weapon.

[/size=3]A knife is a tool.... and no I don't think it has to have a sharp edge... I know of plenty that don't have[/size]... and they are still very useful tools that fall into the subcategory of knives.

YMMV!!

DM

Knives are inanimate objects. What they "are" depends on what you use them for. All tools may not be weapons, but all weapons are tools, being used to affect a given result.

edit: Didn't realize how old this was...

I think a knife is a tool, but like so many things, it can be turned into a weapon. A baseball bat is for hitting baseballs, but then we hear about some thug caving in someones's head with a bat. A sword on the other hand is a weapon. All this being said, I will pull my knife to defend myself or use it to cut tape, depending on the need.

I've never used a knife as a weapon, but I've used it countless times as a tool. Calling it a weapon only focuses on one possible use, and discounts it's other many uses.

Just a novel take on this question, but what did the first knives start out as being? From an anthropological perspective, the first knives were likely to have been pure weapons.

Nope, nope, nope. The first "knives" were sharp bits of stone used to cut flesh off of already dead animals. Scavengers baby, that's where we started, not as mighty hunters or bloodthirsty killers.

Good on ya STABMAN. Knives are tools. And man, some of the worst tool abuse is done to knives! Remember, be nice to your knife AND the Earf!
Lycosa

Back