is a little up and down play normal on AXIS locks?

there is some up and down bladeplay on all my benchmade AXIS lock knives. there isn't much play, but it is noticeable. is it normal? there is no play sideways.

why is it happening? is there anything to do about it? is it because the AXIS lock moves too freely sideways?

I've never bought a brand new benchmade from a retailer. all of them have been purchased via this forum, but I don't doubt their authenticity.

all of your axis locks have vertical play?!? damn... the way it's designed it really shouldn't get any. I have a mini grip that is completely solid vertical, little bit of side to side. I have a brand new delica that has more vertical play.
Does the axis lock stud thingie move back and forth when you are getting this vertical play? This is a design that should self adjust for any stop pin wear by the springs putting tension on the axis lock to close the gap. The blade gets sandwiched between the lock and the pin... wish i could be more helpful

Yes, but at the same time, no.
The tolerances on benchmade knives are very tight.
You'll need some BLUE loc-tite, and about an hour of free time.
Turn the pivot screw VERY little until you find the exact spot (and I mean VERY little. so little that you have to imagine that you moved it), and remember that spot. Then back it out, one drop on the screw thread, and put it right back where it was. You got about a half hour to tweak it before it starts to cure. Then, leave the knife somewhere where it won't move for 24 hours, then you can use it again.
:D

I have adjusted the pivot screw so I can open the knife easily and have no play sideways.

Make sure that the lock area is totaly clean and I mean TOTALY clean. I had the same problem and it was caused by the smallest anount of pocket lint.

I get blade play when there is either pocket lint in the lock or even where the lock bar hits the blade it will leave a little bit of grease an that causes up and down play just 1. wipe off all lint and gunk from the lock , 2. check where the lockbar touches the blade and see if that grease is present if so wipe it off, if those don''t fix it I'd send it back to benchmade

I have yet to see a benchmade axis lock that didn't have at least a little bit of up-and-down play. Literally every single Benchmade axis-lock I've checked to date (including my Presidios, as well as Grips, Bone Collectors, Osbournes, etc. that I've held in stores) had some up-and-down blade play.

I'd say it's normal, or at least extremely common, although others will probably disagree.

My Benchmade Kulgera did not have any up and down blade play until recently. The Omega spring broke on one side and it now has slight up and down blade play. I'll have to contact Benchmade and send it in.

not in my cast, the 710, 741, 275, or 810 i own have no play any direction. Then again I held each before I bought it, but some of the other ones did have blade play those are the ones that stayed at the shop.

Back