Is a pocket clip classed as open carry?

Would anyone know if carrying a Buck 110 in the sheath would constitute "open carry"? It is fully concealed, but you can see the whole pouch. Logically I think, no, that isn't open-carry, the knife is concealed... but then I think, "My Ontario SP-1 fixed blade can be carried in a sheath, my shirt covers the handle, so you can't strictly speaking see the knife, but that would not be legal to walk around with openly at 7in"

Would anyone know if carrying a Buck 110 in the sheath would constitute "open carry"? It is fully concealed, but you can see the whole pouch. Logically I think, no, that isn't open-carry, the knife is concealed... but then I think, "My Ontario SP-1 fixed blade can be carried in a sheath, my shirt covers the handle, so you can't strictly speaking see the knife, but that would not be legal to walk around with openly at 7in"

It depends on the location, the laws of that location, and the opinion and discretion of any LEO's you might encounter.

If you're talking about Los Angeles, I believe a folder carried in a belt sheath would be considered "visible" under LA law, if the sheath is in fact visible.

Of course it all comes down to the discretion of each individual LEO, but I wouldn't risk it. It only takes one cop to see it and decide to make an issue out of it to cause you some very serious and expensive problems.

However, if the 110 belt sheath was covered by a shirt, then it would no longer be visible, and perfectly legal in LA.

It depends on the location, the laws of that location, and the opinion and discretion of any LEO's you might encounter.

If you're talking about Los Angeles, I believe a folder carried in a belt sheath would be considered "visible" under LA law, if the sheath is in fact visible.

Of course it all comes down to the discretion of each individual LEO, but I wouldn't risk it. It only takes one cop to see it and decide to make an issue out of it to cause you some very serious and expensive problems.

However, if the 110 belt sheath was covered by a shirt, then it would no longer be visible, and perfectly legal in LA.
I am talking about LA County. Yessir, looks like I would be making sure that my shirt amply covers the sheath if I am to wear it on the belt. Thanks for advice.

Sure make enough stupid laws out there concerning carrying a folding or fixed blade knife. Makes it even worse when a certain city has a special ordinance prohibiting carry of a certain knife when the rest of the state allows it. Surprised dumps like NYC or LA have not banned finger nail clippers. Don't pay any attention myself to these idiotic laws. Probably passed by some idiot Democrap politician.

Sure make enough stupid laws out there concerning carrying a folding or fixed blade knife. Makes it even worse when a certain city has a special ordinance prohibiting carry of a certain knife when the rest of the state allows it. Surprised dumps like NYC or LA have not banned finger nail clippers. Don't pay any attention myself to these idiotic laws. Probably passed by some idiot Democrap politician.
Being there and having to bear the idiocy of the laws, only reason I wouldn't pack my Boker XXL Kalashnikov for, say, a nighttime walk, is because of how it would look for me if something occurred, even if I used something of the sort in righteous defense, it could be argued that I am looking for trouble by carrying such an illegal automatic knife. Very grateful for the wave. However, if I was going to, say, work or a relative's house, somewhere that isn't wandering/walking around, I would pay no mind to such a law and gladly carry whatever I want to use in such "safe" places.

Honestly, though, I've seen what makes people get pulled over in my area, and every time, they were doing something to attract their attention, loitering somewhere, smoking/drinking there, being intoxicated, being loud in such a hang out spot. So, go about normally, and you usually won't be bothered, and as long as you be smart, you can carry whatever you like.

I hear ya pal. Am grateful for spring assist here. Bought my first Sog assist 11 years back at a Dick's here in the state. Not Illegal to own a switchblade in your house but not suppose to walk around with it. Exceptions if one had a Class A Firearms permit I read. More BS as usual. Last I heard a manual folder will cause the same damage as a switchblade. Guess that is too much for the politicians to figure out!!

One thing I think people can easily get caught up in is the term "legal". Let me explain. If you have a run in with a cop over a knife, you may: lose your knife (at least temporarily), be arrested, go to jail, be processed, and see a judge or have to bail out before court. Later...you go to court, spend money on an attorney, and prove that the knife statute you are quoting is right. The judge says charges dropped...and your act was "legal".

Wanna go through all that, or just push the knife down in your pocket when you walk by the police?

"Legal" doesn't always equal easy and painless...

Back