? is it illegal to ship Auto knives via US postal

Status
Not open for further replies.
is this true

Never ship an automatic knife using the U.S. Postal Service. Federal law prohibits the shipment of ‘injurious articles’—which includes automatic knives. The penalty for breaking this law is a fine or imprisonment for not more than one year. However, there is no federal restriction on shipment of automatic knives by common/contract carriers, such as FedEx and UPS. When shipping an automatic knife, always use a private carrier such as FedEx and UPS. In fact, the American Knife & Tool Institute recommends that you do not ship knives by the U.S. Postal Service to avoid a possible issue over confusion of whether it is an automatic knife.

Yes, while people still do it, the interstate commerce clause is still in effect and you can still get in trouble for shipping them around by any carrier -

§1242. Introduction, manufacture for introduction, transportation or distribution in interstate commerce; penalty​

Whoever knowingly introduces, or manufactures for introduction, into interstate commerce, or transports or distributes in interstate commerce, any switchblade knife, shall be fined not more than $2,000 or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.

(Pub. L. 85–623, §2, Aug. 12, 1958, 72 Stat. 562.).

§1244. Exceptions​

Sections 1242 and 1243 of this title shall not apply to—

(1) any common carrier or contract carrier, with respect to any switchblade knife shipped, transported, or delivered for shipment in interstate commerce in the ordinary course of business;

(2) the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce, of switchblade knives pursuant to contract with the Armed Forces;

(3) the Armed Forces or any member or employee thereof acting in the performance of his duty;

(4) the possession, and transportation upon his person, of any switchblade knife with a blade three inches or less in length by any individual who has only one arm; or

(5) a knife that contains a spring, detent, or other mechanism designed to create a bias toward closure of the blade and that requires exertion applied to the blade by hand, wrist, or arm to overcome the bias toward closure to assist in opening the knife.

(Pub. L. 85–623, §4, Aug. 12, 1958, 72 Stat. 562; Pub. L. 111–83, title V, §562, Oct. 28, 2009, 123 Stat. 2183.)

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/USCODE-2011-title15/html/USCODE-2011-title15-chap29.htm .

-----------------

It doesn't happen often, but it still happens occasionally. UPS, etc.... are protected, but I'm pretty sure the buyer and seller aren't.

As noted above; 1244 (1) creates a "gray" area of sorts. While most rightfully believe that it exempts the carrier from any wrong doing, some believe and argue that in the "ordinary course of business" that it is ok... How else do major companies like Microtech and Gaurdian Tactical get away with "manufacturing (switchblade knives) for introduction into interstate commerce" as they send shipments to their authorized dealers across state lines?

Definitely wish it were more cut and dry, as such some retailers will, others won't, some require signing off on a waiver, but for myself, I plead the fifth...

It's probably illegal, and double-probable that you don't want to find yourself being the legal version of the canary in a coal mine!

The person shipping is not required to disclose the contents of a package within the USA. Personally I use USPS and I have had no problems in 30 years. However I have had items get "lost" in customs overseas. Don't ask don't tell. There are a lot of laws on the books that don't make sense in modern times.

The person shipping is not required to disclose the contents of a package within the USA. Personally I use USPS and I have had no problems in 30 years. However I have had items get "lost" in customs overseas. Don't ask don't tell. There are a lot of laws on the books that don't make sense in modern times.

We do not suggest, promote or condone any illegal actions / circumventing the law on this site.

Don't like the law, speak to your representatives.

Switchblade knives

Switchblade knives are severely restricted with the USPS. They are defined by the USPS as knives having “a blade that opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button or other device in the handle, or by operation of inertia, gravity, or both.” Only supply and procurement officers are allowed to purchase and mail switchblade knives. If you’re a dealer or manufacturer of switchblade knives, you would still only be able to mail switchblade knives to procurement officers representing civic, county, state and federal governments. Mailpieces with switchblade knives should not be identified as such on the outside of the parcel.

44 Knives and Sharp Instruments​

441 Definitions​

441.1 General​

Sharp instruments include all sharp–pointed or sharp–edged implements such as knives, tools, ice picks, razor blades, stilettos, or similar devices. When uncertain about the mailability of a sharp instrument or a switchblade knife, a ruling may be requested from the local postmaster (see 215.3).

441.2 Switchblade Knife​

A switchblade knife has a blade that opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button or other device in the handle, or by operation of inertia, gravity, or both.
As above, if in doubt and wanting to use USPS, you can request a ruling from the postmaster. Failure to do so leaves you at risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back