Is it legal for a 14 year old to carry a Buck 110?

I live in Washington state and I was wondering if it's legal for me (a 14 year old) to sheath carry a Buck 110 in public (such as a grocery store).

I wouldn't recommend it unless you're with your parents. Otherwise you could get into some trouble if gou are randomly searched, which happened to me once when i was 16 (didn't have a knife that day thank God) if you must carry a knife carry a swiss army knife or some kind of small slipjoint. Don't know washington laws though, Foridian here

Let me preface this by saying I don't know the laws in your state, but "by the book" it probably is LEGAL.

HOWEVER... Why on earth would you want to? The 110 is a big knife- and it's going to draw attention to you. Any attention when you're carrying ANYTHING is almost always bad, and it's even WORSE when you're a kid because people are expecting you to do stupid stuff. You're kind of almost doomed before you even start!

Carrying the 110 to/from a camping/hunting trip with your parents or scout troop is one thing- and I certainly wouldn't think there's anything unusual about that. Carrying it around as part of your EDC seems like you're asking for trouble (mostly on account of your age). If you want to carry a knife everyday, do yourself a favor and select something discrete that can be easily pocket carried to avoid attention. Save the 110 on the belt for hunting and camping.

Washington state has some strange knife laws. In particular, Washington penal code 9.41.270 says that if you are carrying a knife, and if it causes "alarm" to anyone, that you are guilty of a gross misdemeanor. For this reason, the people I know who live in Washington never carry their knives openly when out in public. Here is a link to Washington penal code 9.41.270 from Washington states official legislative website- http://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41&full=true#9.41.270.

My advice is not to carry any knife openly in Washington while out in public. I've heard of people in Washington openly carrying knives in public without issue, but I personally wouldn't risk it. Your choice.

Last edited:
As someone who was not long ago 14 years old, it's never a good idea to carry your knife in public. People assume that you're a "dangerous teenager" or whatever and that you'll do something brash with your knife. If you do carry it in public, get a knife with a pocket clip that rides deep in your pocket.

Times change...people grow cheesy.

When i was 14 or so, I either had my trailmaster or gerber bowie with me..everywhere. Plus a few other knives. It was never any problem, and came in handy many times.

Seeing a 14 year old boy WITHOUT a knife should cause alarm. I mean, if he has no knife, how can he whittle trap triggers and stuff? And if he is not whittling, ther is no telling what kind of mischeif he could get into! My son is 9 and carries two knives, everywhere ecept where they will likley have coniption fits if they knew how many knives he has.

Well, I live in a very small town, and, if I am at a place that I would think there would be people who would have a problem, I just pull my shirt/jacket over the sheath. Also, I shouldn't need to say this, but, just to clarify, I obviously would never take any knives or weapons anywhere near my school or anything of the sort... When I say "public", I mean walking down the street to the hardware store and back and stuff like that. For example, if I was at home or out in the woods, I would be carrying it. If we were going to town immediately after, I'd just leave it on, but never use it. And I have never used it in a place of business or really anywhere in public, I would never just take a knife out in public unless I absolutely needed to; I don't want to scare anyone. I was just wondering if it was legal or not.

Note: This is not directed to anyone specific, or even in this thread, but all you people saying it's too heavy and bulky, I made my own sheath that is less bulky. As for the weight and everything else, HATERS GONNA HATE. This is a custom knife that I made myself, so, obviously I like to carry it. My first knife was a Buck 110, which I lost in the woods for 7 months due to carrying it in my pocket... After I found it, I added some parts from it to this knife, along with parts from another Buck 110 that I EDC'd for a year. The scales are made from maple wood from our property. It has sentimental value as well as the fact that it looks awesome. I understand that there are more efficient knives out there, but I would rather have the 110. Thank you for your time.

One last thing: In Washington, it is always cold and rainy, so I usually have a jacket on, which covers it up. In the public places I'm in, 1 in 5 people are carrying some sort of knife.

As someone who was not long ago 14 years old, it's never a good idea to carry your knife in public. People assume that you're a "dangerous teenager" or whatever and that you'll do something brash with your knife. If you do carry it in public, get a knife with a pocket clip that rides deep in your pocket.

I could just carry a shotgun around to draw attention away from the knife...

when i was 14 and even younger i was carrying a 5 inch cold steel vaquero everyday. and i live in Philly, a liberal mecca. So i would say carry it, if anyone ask about the pouch just say its a flashlight or something. :thumbup:

Well here in Alberta I have carried a knife with me everywhere I go. Weddings school parties work you name it and this is been going on since I was 12 now that I'm older I don't even try and hide em. Most of the time I have a set of three right in my belt for all the world to see and I am planing on building a boot knife here shortly. But that is up here in the great white north. I ain't sure about America.

A Buck 110 is too large to legally carry in most of the Puget Sound area. I don't think anyone will bother you much in the rest of the state if you have an obvious reason for needing the knife as a tool. Carrying for self-defense is not a legal reason before it comes up.

I live in Eastern Washington and I do not think it is an issue. As far as I know the knife does not fall into the dangerous weapon class. You might read through RCW 9.41 (I think)

Back