Is it legal to open carry a sword in public in NC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering is it is legal to open carry a sword in public in North Carolina. (Say, a katana.)

The laws on the carrying of non-firearm weapons in North Carolina only apply to concealed weapons, unless it is school property, courthouses, the State Capitol Building, the Executive Mansion, or the Western Residence of the Governor.

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_14/GS_14-269.html

Several friends of mine that do European sword martial arts (including public demonstrations) live in NC and have never had a problem.

It should be noted that in such situations there is a clear intent to use the swords for sport and entertainment, and the same would apply if worn as part of costume. Any use in a threatening manner or even just carry in an deliberate attempt to be "menacing" to others is grounds for being charged with assault (making another fear imminent harm) or intimidation.

Secondarily, Why would someone want to carry a katana or any other "sword" in public?
Contrary to common belief, amongst mall knife store shopping and 3 a.m. cutlery show crowds, swords as a regular carry item and back yard 28 bottles of water chopping isn't impressive and doesn't seem to be considerate, or steeped in common sense...
Give me a sturdy fixed blade for woods work, and a Benchmade 710/940 or manix 2 for edc and I'll be fine.

Do yourself a favor and keep your knives reasonable. The Knife community has it hard enough in the sheeples eyes, dont be counterproductive.

Last edited:
Former NC sheriff's deputy here:

NC has a specific offense "Going Armed to the Terror of the Public" whereas the actions you take, if by design or by incidence, are interpreted by a police officer to have the specific desire to scare people, you are going to get arrested.

Carrying a sword on your back or side will likely not cause the villagers to flee in terror. But if someone calls 911 do not act surprised if one or more police officers stop you to have a conversation. It is also not outside the realm of possibility for you to leave the encounter in handcuffs.

Former NC sheriff's deputy here:

NC has a specific offense "Going Armed to the Terror of the Public" whereas the actions you take, if by design or by incidence, are interpreted by a police officer to have the specific desire to scare people, you are going to get arrested.

Carrying a sword on your back or side will likely not cause the villagers to flee in terror. But if someone calls 911 do not act surprised if one or more police officers stop you to have a conversation. It is also not outside the realm of possibility for you to leave the encounter in handcuffs.
I'm sorry officer, I use my sword for field dressing game after legally harvesting. Am I being detained? Didn't think so... shove off

Please..please don't be that guy.

I see folks all the time walking in Lowes or Walmart open carrying various tools, pistol, rifle, even saw machetes and rambo-style knives. It is just an invitation for unwanted attention.

I do carry a fixed blade and in NC it is illegal to conceal so I leave it exposed for that reason. However I have a good friend who is a NC SBI special agent and he said he has never heard of a case of someone being charged with carrying a fixed blade concealed unless they were doing something stupid. Its a dumb law. I can legally carry a concealed handgun but not a knife.

Please..please don't be that guy.

I see folks all the time walking in Lowes or Walmart open carrying various tools, pistol, rifle, even saw machetes and rambo-style knives. It is just an invitation for unwanted attention.
Hope you didn't see me in the Wilmington area Lowes. Walmart very doubtful as I don't go there. I hear ya though I see guys carrying huge knives and open carry a pistol in a $10 nylon holster that isn't made for it. Saw a couple young guys in Sportsmans Warehouse in Wilmington few months back come in with thigh rigs. One had a P320 x5 the other a G34. All brand new gear.

tenor.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back