Is it legal to own a stiletto on Long Island?

Hi there everyone! I want to buy a Stiletto but I don't know if it is legal to own one in NY/LI. What happens if I buy one online? Will the order get declined just because I live in NY?

First what do you mean by "stiletto"? A real stiletto is a fixed blade with a narrow point meant for stabbing. Do you mean a switchblade of some sort? In NYS Penal Law Switchblades and stilettos are defined differently.

First what do you mean by "stiletto"? A real stiletto is a fixed blade with a narrow point meant for stabbing. Do you mean a switchblade of some sort? In NYS Penal Law Switchblades and stilettos are defined differently.
I got confused, I'm talking about a stiletto switchblade.

Well switchblades in all of NYS ( including LI) can only be owned by certain people ( police officers and certain authorized peace officers). The only way a civilian can own one is for use while fishing, hunting and trapping if you have a license for those activities.

Here is the NYS law ( 265.01 is the law prohibiting switchblades and 265.20#6 is the exception that allows ownership) : https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/laws/PEN/P3TPA265

There are few if any police officers that are aware of the exception that allows them. Read the law and decide what you want to do on your own. The federal law says they can't be sold interstate, and NYS has a ban on their sale too. I have seen them for sale at gun stores and shows on occasions with the dealer checking for lawful possession of the buyer...

Most likely the seller will not ship the knife to NYS even if you order it. I know bladeHQ will not ship an auto to NYS.

As far as NY goes with knife laws, you’re always taking the biggest risks when it comes to NYC. If there’s one city that’s eager to enforce its knife ordinances to the letter on the book, it’s that city.

If you have have a fishing/hunting/trapping license with the state, you can own auto knives and use them while engaged in those activities. Saw a video where a guy mentioned he’s carried his Benchmade Mel Pardue auto while fishing. He said cops and park officers have stopped him and asked about it and he always had his license and fishing gear with him so he’s never had any trouble. It really depends on your location and how well the officer knows the laws and how you’re behaving.

As far as legally obtaining an auto while being a licensed fisherman in NYS, that’s where it can get a little tricky. You could probably try the flea markets or gun shows, though legally they can only be sold to law enforcement in the state, so those wouldn’t be legal sales (wouldn’t really matter once you had legal ownership of the knife, it’s the seller taking the risk). You could always travel to a neighboring state like Vermont to purchase one and transport it back by car with your fishing license and gear with you. Most online knife dealers won’t ship them to NY (the Federal Switchblade Act is also an issue with selling them over state lines).

Back