Is it really hand made?

I wanted to thank everyone who has replied so far and I look forward to any more replies. I have learned a lot.

I may have caused some confusion when I wrote "custom" knife maker. By that, I mean an individual making hand made knives. Personally, I don't care if I buy a hand made knife that is exactly the same as what the maker has made before, as long as I really like it.

So, after reading everyone's posts, I have to ask the following question: What then is really the difference between a hand made knife and a production knife?

Hopefully the differences between production and custom knives can be summed up in two words Quality and Innovation.

Most makers start out hoping one day to be "as good as the factory makes". The good ones go beyond that so it is little wonder that the factories look on custom makers as their greatest asset, after all where else can a factory find so many talented innovative pattern makers who work for free.

Astute factory reps visit all of the major shows trying to identify the hot trends and makers who are willing to collaberate.

------------------
george
www.tichbourneknives.com
sales@tichbourneknives.com

The issue about what is and what is not a custom it seems to keep coming up. I suspect it is time to add some new terms since things have changed quite a bit in the knife world.

Regards,

Tom Carey

[This message has been edited by Tom Carey (edited 09 August 1999).]

Okay, what about, for example, the soon to be released run of 30 Microtech Dragon Slayer II's? The makers claim that these are "totally handmade by Tony M." (with the help of a CNC mill, I'll bet ). They do exhibit a lot of hand grinding, inlaying, and finishing, perhaps even by Tony himself. Are these still production knives, despite the $2200 price tag and limited number? I expect the workmanship to equal or even surpass that of many "true" handmade knives. . If CNC technology is the only factor that makes them production knives, what about some of Walker's work?

I know that the MT name is anathema in this forum, but if any company is blurring the perception of what is handmade and what is not, it's them. Personally, I collect both "custom" MTs and handmades so I'm not biased either way. Until more makers like Dewey Harris make OTF autos, MT will just have to do.

For me, if you hold it in your hand to work on it, or put it in a vise and apply tools you hold in your hand to it, then it's hand made. When you put it in the vise on a machine and use handles, knobs and other stuff to apply a cutter of some sort to the work..... that's machine work. Monkeys could probably be trained to do some of that. I better quit while I'm only in semi-deep water.

------------------

Welcome, Mr. Goddard! Please don't be hesitant to speak your mind. Sometimes the responses are a bit ferocious, but those are often the best discussions, too. At the end of the day, I think we're all friends here.

-Drew

The base difference between factory and some handmade knives (mostly tactical folders) is that many of the machines and techniques are similar.

However, in the factories the blade is ground in 5 seconds by a machine. The blade on the handmade knife is done, well by hand.

Generally, the tolerances are better on the handmade as well as the fit and finish. Also, there is the pride in ownership factor.

This is seldom found in the factory knives. After all what is the big deal about owning a knife that 100,000 other people have.

Welcome Wayne, we look forward to your comments.

Dont worry about the semi-deep water, come on in to the deep end with me. I live in deep water!

------------------
Les Robertson
Robertson's Custom Cutlery
http://www.robertsoncustomcutlery.com/rcc/makers.shtml
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

emack posted an image of a beautiful DeBraga and there was no comment. I was surprised. The carving looks great and the design is wonderfully creative of a futuristic fighter.To me this delineates the handmade/custom from the factory and is what makes collecting "art" knives fun. You have a real beauty in this piece.

------------------

Back