is it really s35vn?

Mo2

I helped send this knife to Peter at the Cedric Ada channel, where he does some cut testing to see if it really was legitimate s35vn as no one has yet to successfully test it in any capacity.

turns out it does churn out to cut around the same as other s35vn knives in this specific test. if not a rockwell below the other two (most likely).

here is the full review.

thoughts (and btw i know cliff stamp and if you're going to add info about that, please note it is what it is)?

is there a chinese equivalent to s35vn in china? or is it american cpm s35vn (as i know carpenter has an office in china to supply them with cpm steel).

You can tell a type of steel by testing the cutting ability of a knife. The cutting ability is dependent not only on the steel's composition, but the heat treatment and the edge geometry. You can have s35 steel, but with a poor heat treat and edge it won't cut like a premium steel.

To determine knife steel, you need at least a fairly expensive chemical analysis.

You can tell a type of steel by testing the cutting ability of a knife. The cutting ability is dependent not only on the steel's composition, but the heat treatment and the edge geometry. You can have s35 steel, but with a poor heat treat and edge it won't cut like a premium steel.

To determine knife steel, you need at least a fairly expensive chemical analysis.
There is a machine that you can point at steel and it will give you the composition of the material in it. No chemicals needed. I have a link at home of it. I can try and provide it some time in the future if I remember.

here is a link to the site that makes it. https://www.bruker.com/products/x-r...is/handheld-xrf/s1-titan-series/overview.html

also per this link http://www.bladeforums.com/threads/ch-knives-ch-3504-wow.1510700/page-2#post-17362919
you can send it to him and get it tested with this machine
We could shoot a knife with our Niton gun if anyone wants it checked to make sure it's legit. Send me an email at bob@nsm-ny.com and I'll give you shipping information. We'll cover the cost. We don't sell direct to CH but they could be buying from one of our distributors.
http://nsm-ny.com/

i dont have the knife in my possession to send it, as Peter knife.

Last edited:
I've been out of the loop for a while but the history of spectrometers is constant improvement . But you have to know what you are looking for and the ability of the machine you need . But with the links posted using them even at a cost is better than buying a unit !!

XRF is a non-destructive chemical analysis. However, a lot of the elements in S35V are less than 1% in concentration and some are not the best analytes for the XRF technique. A hand held XRF may detect them, but not given an accurate reading of their concentration. But when it comes to XRF, I really don't know squat :)

To be clear, we will test your knife if you want to package and send it to us. We won't go out and buy this knife. Send me an email at bob@nsm-ny.com and I'll give you our UPS account number and address details. Sorry, but for domestic shipments only.
Bob
Seems like a great opportunity to settle this once and for all.

Well i don't have it anymore and I don't want to buy another one because it's overall NOT a good knife.

But if someone else wants to do it, that would be great. Honestly it cuts fine in the cut test. Have no reason to doubt it anymore.

But would love to know it's composition.

Had I known I could send it in prior I would have.

Most steel manufacturers have a spectrometer and should be able to test it. Even at colleges in the engineering departments. I know we have one at Texas State. Maybe ask around?

A youtube video of Peter's heat treat shows a "gun" is used to analyze the steel before HT to confirm the steel. Maybe you could send it to them for verification?

Back