Is it true?

While doing a search for information on the 152OT Sharpfinger I found a message (posted late 2000) that says that all the Schrade knives sold at Wal-Mart are factory seconds. Is this true? I'm beginning to wonder because every Old Timer knife that I have bought at Wal-Mart has some major fit and grind problems. I had to go to two different Wal-Marts to find a Sharpfinger that had at least a repairable edge. I have spent several hours with a Sharpmaker trying to get the edge fairly even and still have a long way to go. I love the Sharpfinger but perhaps it should be sold as an edgeless kit knife to KnifeKnuts;).

Walmart is one of Schrades largest accounts there orders are giants. From what I was told when they (Walmart) gives a deadline for delivery they want it met, sometimes when it is a model that they ( Schrade) does not have enough of in stock Schrade goes into overtime mode, to meet the deadline. Does the product suffer? I truly do not know, I do know and have seen for myself that each knife is examined and dealt with on an individual basis. Seconds are not sold as firsts. You may get a better price at Walmart because of there size or if they wish to run a sale on a model of which they may for whatever reason want to reduce inventory on. However I cannot believe you would get seconds palmed off as firsts. If I bought a knife that I felt was inferior in standard I would let the company know. I am sure they would want to be aware if some bad ones were getting by quality control. Rich

Terr:

Every knife sold to Wal-Mart is a factory first. We hand inspect each knife we ship. If anyone ever has a problem with a Schrade knife, please do not hesitate to contact us. We are fairly liberal on returns/repairs and have what we call a Schrade Limited Lifetime Warranty. If there are manufacturing defects, we will replace or repair at no cost - if the knife has been abused, we will offer to fix (if we can!) at a nominal charge.

Again, no matter how busy we are, EVERY knife is inspected.

Terr,Too bad you've had a bad experience at Wal-mart.I have gotten all my Schrades from them except one.The one came from a cutlery store and cost more than it should have:(

Back