Recommendation? Is it worthwhile to EDC a pry bar / multi to "save your knife

Hey, what's that little blue ball on your P38? Is that attaching it to the bar somehow? I like the duct tape to keep it closed… and have duct tape. I use the little magnet from earbuds to keep them closed sometimes. It makes other items on your keychain stick to it though. Now, I most often use a safety pin in the hinge to keep it closed… and have a safety pin.

Lately an SAK is my most common carry and I have the opener/screwdriver for light prying. However, I have a number of TL-29's and they were what I carried for a while. Built in prybar which will actually handle moderate tasks.

I need to go coon finger my knives and find a TL-29 to carry for a while now.

post-77723-0-44914300-1485391311.jpg
Yes, the little blue ball was a piece of blue paracord with a knot on both sides, attaching it to the tool. Since then, I have changed it to a black piece of paracord that has been folded, melted and pressed together. It's now more comfortable to carry in the pocket, bit it now resides on my homemade ESEE 3 sheath:

0VvpcwZ.jpg

padycUz.jpg

And that's a good idea using a magnet or safety pin. I've also removed the duct tape and am just using the "ranger band" to keep it secure.

WNFjRId.jpg

Not edc but the pocketwrench 2 fits great in the wave pouch as a partner to it.The do hickey is in noticed handy though.p51 is way cool

I've had a widgy bar make my day a lot easier a couple times. Not often, but its worth it. I carry one of the picos on my keys all the time, beats a thumbnail often. Depends on what the job is and where you are working. Right now I've not used one in a couple years, but doing events and AV, all the time. Tools for the job, the trick is knowing what the job will be when you load your pockets. That takes talent, or a high tolerance for heavy pockets.

In my life, the need is so seldom except when I'm working that I wouldn't consider carrying a pry tool inside my pocket (edc). I can grab something appropriate when needed. Working is different and if you commonly pry things, carry something appropriate for yourself. I'm content knowing that I have quite an assortment of pry tools inside my work vehicle if the need develops.

I never pry, screw, etc. with my pocket knife. I haven't fully explored the world of specialized EDC pry tools but overall, I haven't been terribly impressed by what I've seen.

I've carried various Swiss Army type knives and a few multitools. I have a common problem though. I already EDC a bunch of stuff: knife, pens, pad, flashlight, key ring, firearm, phone, wallet, medical supplies, etc. The SAK/multitool takes up space. What's worse is that there is almost always stuff I don't care about on the SAK/multitool and it adds bulk. In fact, I usually don't care about the included knife blade. Yeah, a back-up blade is nice and all but it's usually not a very good one in my limited experience.

I liked the size and concept of the Travel Dime but the quality just wasn't there. It was also a pain to carry despite its size due to the weirdly placed external bottle opener and its proximity to the key ring attachment. The best I can usually manage is a Leatherman Squirt but that has limitations too. Is there a better option in that size and class of multitool?

:) Late last night , perhaps "under the influence" , I ordered this titanium wedge / chisel / kubaton direct from China : o_O

You could kick it up a notch and install some tritium in the cut-outs.

Come on baby light my "pryer" ------ BA DUM, Tssshhh!

Last edited:
Back