Test ad

Is Lansky a good system to sharpen buck 110 (1986)

I have recently bought the Lansky Deluxe . I have also called Buck and they said my year was 420 steel. Confused me I thought 86 was 425 . I am practicing on junk knives ,I seem to be catching on .

David Martin

If your 110 has a 'X' stamped year mark. It should have a blade of 425m steel. DM

Lesknife

Platinum Member
I have used the Lansky system on 425m and 420hc and it worked good on both. If you acquire any upgrade steel blades you can get the diamond stones for them as well. I have since learned how to sharpen free handed with a diamond stone to get the edge I like. It’s a muscle memory thing and learning how the stone takes the steel away.

jbmonkey

Platinum Member
lansky should be fine for 420hc or 425m steel. the lowest angle might not be enough on edge 2000 Buck knives as the kansy guide lowest setting is only 17 degrees. some edge 2000s are 15 +/- degrees. the lansky stones can be used free hand though so doesn't matter if youre comfortable freehand.

you knife being 1986 made should be fine as the bevels are much wider. unless you or someone reprofiled below 34 degrees inclusive.

is it the diamond version or the stones? diamond will handle 420hc, 425m, s30v and everything else steel wise Bucks ever used, pretty much.

It is the stones thinking of getting a 600 grit diamond Lansky stone seems i use that the most Thx for the Replys vert elpful

The lanksky sucks on most knives it rounds the tips off because of user error ,so make sure you know how to use the guides and stones properly when getting out towards the blade tip.

cut it out

Gold Member
I use a pa shy system if I wanna change a angle but otherwise free hand 95% of the time as I usually only need a touch up. I use it on my broadheads also.

I don't care for the Lansky, the aluminium rods bend. I got the KME with diamond stones. I also incorporated a holder which has three screws and flips over to keep both sides the same angle. You can feel how sharp the blade is before removing the knife from the fixture.The KME has only one hole to put the guide rod through and you can raise or lower the guide hole for different angles. I also bought a magnetic angle tool that tells the angle before you start. Nice little set up,it goes from tip to tang.

Last edited:

Pack Rat

Platinum Member
I have been using a Lansky system for 30 plus years and haven't found a Buck or others that I havent been able to put a shaving edge on.
Never had a problem with rounded tips or bending rods.
And I have 40 plus new and ancient 110's
One fun story was when brother broke about half an inch off the tip of a model 470. I used the system and reprofiled the tip to a new tip with a bit more belly. Posted those pics years ago.. It didn't take all that long to reprofile.

Something to remember, you have to put YOUR edge on any new knife. Sometimes that takes a bit more work to get there. But once you do, it will be easy touch up after that.

I have always used the 25 angle.

Pack Rat

Platinum Member
Oh yeah, I asked brother what he was doing to break that 470.
Answer - Being Stupid.
Never gave me a straight answer but did offer to buy me a new one.
Never happened.. No biggie. Was fun doing the reprofile just to see if I could.

Pack Rat

Platinum Member
Skill of the user..... Maybe so, but im one of the ones that can't maintain a good sharpening angle by hand. So the set angles of some of the systems lets me get as close to factory angle and sharpness
of a factory edge as I can't free handing it.

Just call me skillless. My Lansky is relevant for me.

jmh33

Gold Member
Skill of the user..... Maybe so, but im one of the ones that can't maintain a good sharpening angle by hand. So the set angles of some of the systems lets me get as close to factory angle and sharpness
of a factory edge as I can't free handing it.

Just call me skillless. My Lansky is relevant for me.

You are not alone.. :(
John