Is "lockback" the same as "Tri-Ad lock" for CS?

Discussion in 'Cold Steel Knives' started by superpog, Mar 26, 2020.

1. superpog

superpog Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 9, 2019
    Like AD10 is lockback while 4-max is tri-ad, what is the difference? or there is no difference?

Cold Steel Demko AD-10 Lockback Knife
    Cold Steel 4-Max Tri-Ad Lock Knife

2. kreole

kreole

Jul 23, 2009
    Where is that listed? Their own site seems to call it Triad...

https://www.coldsteel.com/ad-10.html

"No folder would be complete without a reliable locking mechanism, so we have incorporated Andrew’s famous Tri-Ad® lock."

3. superpog

Nov 9, 2019
    That's great! I think so.

I see those names from bladehq, so was confused.

4. insta9ves

insta9ves

Apr 3, 2007
    Triad is not lockback, and it’s definitely not just lockback with an additional stop pin. That’s the biggest misconception about triad lock. It’s like saying compression lock is just a liner lock on top.

superpog likes this.
  5. Boxer .45

Boxer .45 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 11, 2015
    Gotta admit I was never interested beyond general curiosity, but just read about it here.

[​IMG]

https://www.coldsteel.com/tri_ad_lock

Personally I'm good with a regular lockback because I don't use a folder for things other than folders were/are intended for. If I had to use it for last ditch SD emergency I'm not going to have time to put a pin in anyway.
    I could see this in a BOB or Emergency kit when you might not be able to fit a fixed blade. So it does have a place. Generally I'd just use a fixed blade though...preferably.

superpog likes this.
  6. superpog

Nov 9, 2019
    So, do all recent cold steel knifes (ones that are still in production) use tri-ad or there are ones using regular lockback?

7. jlauffer

jlauffer Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 11, 2016
    Most are Tri-Ad, but there are some that are not. For example, the Double Safe Hunter and Bush Ranger Lite are lockbacks that have a secondary lock. And the new 911 is a liner lock, as are the Ti-Lites. Look through their catalog...it is very clear which ones have the Tri-Ad lock.

8. insta9ves

insta9ves

Apr 3, 2007
    What do you mean “not going to have time to put a pin in anyway” ?
    You don’t need to put anything in triad lock to make it work. Open the knife and you are done. Don’t even need secondary locks or other BS gimmicks CS started putting on their recent linerlock or backlock models.

9. insta9ves

insta9ves

Apr 3, 2007
    Baffles me why cold steel even decide to do backlock or linerlock with secondary locks when they could just do triadlock. The additional mechanism actually gives it a bit more complexity and it can’t be cheaper to produce.

Your Name Goes Here likes this.
  10. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    Bit off topic, but can anyone explain the “rocker lock” found on some of the budget CS knives? The one with a secondary safety? How is that different from the Tri-Ad lock?

11. insta9ves

insta9ves

Apr 3, 2007
    It’s just a normal backlock with secondary safety.

dogstar and DangerZone98 like this.