1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Is the BK5 discontinued?

Discussion in 'Becker Knife & Tool' started by gytheran, Feb 18, 2017.

1. gytheran

gytheran

Apr 6, 2009
    I just picked up the Magnum Camp a few days ago and am really digging the feel of it. The balance is damn near spot on. I heard this blade was discontinued. Is that true?

2. austexjg

austexjg

Oct 22, 2014
    Unfortunately, it is. One of my favorite blades.

3. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    It seems all of my favorite Becker models are either disco'd or hard to find.

4. gytheran

gytheran

Apr 6, 2009
    Damn, that sucks. I missed out on the 15 and the 24 also...

5. eon blue apocalypse

eon blue apocalypse

Apr 11, 2015
    So then does anyone know why it's still listed on the 2017 kabar catalogue?

6. 1066vik

1066vik Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    you have horrible timing - 91B just sold his NIB 15 on the exchange this morning at a really good price.

7. gytheran

gytheran

Apr 6, 2009
    wow, yeah... that's pretty damn bad timing there

8. gmoneyluv

gmoneyluv Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2012
    Suggest you consider picking up another 5 for backup. I'm trying to convince Triggs that we need another 5 – we have three already.

9. NJBillK

NJBillK Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 27, 2014
    You Can't have an odd number, sell on of them to me!

In all honesty, it is also one of my favorite knives. Durable, agile, and just a Fantastic user.

10. NCSlice

NCSlice Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 22, 2015
    I think they're still available from Ka-Bar and many distributors but production has ceased. In other words, you can still buy the BK5 until inventories have been depleted. Unlike the 4, 15, 17, and 24.

11. SALTY

SALTY Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2000
    Ditto, punches above its weight and is just as handy in the kitchen, lopping and chopping in the woods or in a knife fight ... throw in Ethan's handles and what a great knife!

12. bootzon

bootzon

Dec 30, 2015
    Seems like many (most) of the bigger Beckers are discontinued. The new 22 is made by Rowen. Might future Beckers come from a different manufacturer than Kabar? What in the wide wide world of sports is a goin' on here????

13. ocnLogan

ocnLogan

Jul 31, 2011
    Wait, what?

Did I miss something?

I thought the bk22 was a bk2 in a nylon sheath. Is it also manufactured by rowen? I haven't been paying tons of attention to Becker news lately, but do you have a link or more info on this?

14. tjswarbrick

tjswarbrick

Mar 31, 2011
    Interesting.
    Bk22 says KaBar all over the Internet, and is available at both Tomars and the Ka-Bar site.

15. knifejunkie1928

knifejunkie1928 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 15, 2015
    you mean the bk12?

16. bootzon

bootzon

Dec 30, 2015
    Hold up. Sorry. My bad. not the BK22, the Doug Ritter RSK® Mk2 Perseverance.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. ocnLogan

ocnLogan

Jul 31, 2011
    Oh, ok, that makes far more sense. Yeah, Rowen has made that model for as long as it has been in existence, and, its not a particularly new model. Its been out for a few years at least (I know it was out when I joined BF, so at least ~6-7 years now).

Carry on :).

18. upnorth

upnorth

Nov 25, 2006
    I remember chopping our xmas tree apart for disposal about 6-8 years ago with a 5, lol. That one is gone but my current 5 has micarta and sits in a spec ops combat master. Set up just the way I want it.

19. daizee

daizee KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 30, 2009
    The 5 is awesome. Love it, and post dirty pictures of it.

I had one, used it little. So when I got a second with the BK-21 package, figured it would be sold. NOPE. Sold the other two, and now I have two 5's.

20. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 1, 2016
    The BK-5 is still widely available so I would scoop one up before everyone runs out as others here have suggested. I picked one up last month, such a fantastic knife. It is currently waiting in line for the usual treatments I give my Beckers. So much to do, so little time...