Is the Case stockman the most popular pocket knife ever made?

I have absolutely no data to support this, but I'd say the two bladed jack knife or Barlow may be the most popular of all time.

I'm not even sure it is the most popular Case.

It is quite popular though.

Maybe it depends on country or region. In my part of Europe, I don't think they are very popular. When knife enthusiast gatherings were still happening, I never saw many stockmans. I think different models of Victorinox were the most common. There were also many trappers and sodbusters. And a decent amount of barlows and Buck 110 type hunters.

I read somewhere online (so it's just gotta be true, right?) that Victorinox/SAK sells more knives world wide, every year than all other manufacturers --- combined.

I also read that "the Trapper is the most popular pattern." That might actually be true. Case doesn't (or hasn't yet) put the Trapper "in the vault", and only do a run of them once every 5 to 10 or 15 years, like they have the Barlow.

I read somewhere online (so it's just gotta be true, right?) that Victorinox/SAK sells more knives world wide, every year than all other manufacturers --- combined.

I also read that "the Trapper is the most popular pattern." That might actually be true. Case doesn't (or hasn't yet) put the Trapper "in the vault", and only do a run of them once every 5 to 10 or 15 years, like they have the Barlow.

Case will never put the Trapper in the vault.. It is a top seller..:D:thumbsup:
John

Maybe it is just the most popular here in the US. What other pocket knife
can you find here that is so available. Most discount stores and probably every
hardware store sells them

Based on the lots of TSA-confiscated knives resold on the 'Bay & elsewhere, I'd think some version of a SAK (or knock-offs of such) is likely the most ubiquitous in the world. I'm always mind-boggled at how many SAK-type knives end up in those TSA bins.

Otherwise as mentioned, I'd think some qualification is needed as to the most popular where? Or by what make/brand(?). Case's most popular model is probably the '54 pattern trapper, based on the volumes of those they market & sell. I think Case has even stated publicly, the '54 trapper has been their most popular for decades.

And as mentioned, even if Opinels are ubiquitous in Europe, many over here in the USA likely have never seen one and wouldn't even recognize the name if asked.

My own favorite Case is the '75 pattern stockman, BTW. :)

Last edited:
When I became re-interested in pocket knives about 6 years ago, one of the biggest surprises to me is that most hardware stores I visited in my city carried NO traditional pocket knives. I've only been able to find one that carries some Case knives.
Of course, I am right in a city with the greater metro area having a population over a million, so that might make a difference.

- GT

Maybe old timey hardware stores do. To my knowledge there is only one hardware store in San Diego that carries Case knives in the store. Home Depot does not sell them. Lowe's does not sell them. Target does not sell them. Target does sell SAKs and stocks them in the store.

Very much doubt it. Hard to verify....

But in terms of this Forum I'd say Stockman is one of the most popular judged by numbers owned, variants and those frequently shown here from numerous companies-many sadly defunct. CASE shows very well, and here The Big Amber shows perhaps why ;)

oUdaKYi.jpg

Back