Is the Emerson linerlock insecure?

I’m a pretty big EKI critic in this forum, but the things that make my CQC15 my go to work knife are the ergonomics, the wave, and a rock solid lock up. For what I use it for, I doubt the lock will ever fail.

How do you get one of these liner locks to fail? Even on my hardest use horseman that I used to hell and back it never failed, and if all that never caused a failure then I can't imagine anything else I could throw at a knife in any walk of life that would.

I think what this comes down to is understanding the difference between 'hard-use' and 'abuse'

How do you get one of these liner locks to fail? Even on my hardest use horseman that I used to hell and back it never failed, and if all that never caused a failure then I can't imagine anything else I could throw at a knife in any walk of life that would.

I think what this comes down to is understanding the difference between 'hard-use' and 'abuse'

I've had a vindicator lock fail where just putting a little bit of pressure on it would make the lock flex.

Brand new knife also. Emerson fixed it up though no problem.

When talking about locks, it really comes down to physics and geometry. I wouldn't call a linerlock insecure, it will often do it's job. However, the fact is compared to majority of other locking mechanism; framelock, axis, compression etc. it is the cheapest to make and weakest.

You could always go with the XHD-7F. It has a hardened steel lock bar insert. A little pricey, but a great knife. They're in stock now.

I had some issue with the liner lock on a mini CQC-8
Nothing dramatic in normal use and it was strong when pushing on the top of the blade, but it failed repeteadly when you hit the top of the blade.

It was very disapointing, and I never had the same problems on any other knife I had, even cheap ones.
This, in addition to other small issues/problems, made me sell this knife.

Very sad about this story since I really enjoyed the ergonomics of the knife. But all the functional aspects was not on par with the pricetag I paid for it.

Nothing dramatic in normal use and it was strong when pushing on the top of the blade, but it failed repeteadly when you hit the top of the blade.

Very sad about this story since I really enjoyed the ergonomics of the knife. But all the functional aspects was not on par with the pricetag I paid for it.

Fixed blades are fixed. Folding knives fold.

It was very disapointing, and I never had the same problems on any other knife I had, even cheap ones.
This, in addition to other small issues/problems, made me sell this knife.

When folding knives being used like a fixed blade fail I am not really surprised.

Fixed blades are fixed. Folding knives fold.
So, yeah, this.

When folding knives being used like a fixed blade fail I am not really surprised.
For sure
I may not have described correctly the issue I had with my Emerson.
I didn’t torture the knife, nor used it as a fixed blade.... and simply put,none of my other folders have demonstrated this kind of lock failure

This may be a one particular knife problem, but that is my experience

For sure
I may not have described correctly the issue I had with my Emerson.
I didn’t torture the knife, nor used it as a fixed blade.... and simply put,none of my other folders have demonstrated this kind of lock failure

This may be a one particular knife problem, but that is my experience
I guess I just mean that I personally am not going to hit/bang on the top of a blade of a folder.

Back