Is the Kershaw Link M390 the real deal?

I've been reading mixed reviews on the Kershaw Link with M390 steel. I really would like to pick one up, but I'd like to get some more feedback about it. The reviews I've read are inconsistent, and I just don't put much stock into youtubers.

I don't know about the m390 version, but I bought my friend a regular one and he's loves it.

I don't know about the m390 version, but I bought my friend a regular one and he's loves it.
Yeah, I have the regular version, and I love it too. I'm interested in hearing about the M390 steel on this knife, but I couldn't agree with your friend more...the regular Link is a very solid knife.

I've been reading mixed reviews on the Kershaw Link with M390 steel. I really would like to pick one up, but I'd like to get some more feedback about it. The reviews I've read are inconsistent, and I just don't put much stock into youtubers.

It's OK but does not take too much abuse, a bit gentle seemed to me. For medium and light use its fine. Give it solid B/B+ grade for the price

It's OK but does not take too much abuse, a bit gentle seemed to me. For medium and light use its fine. Give it solid B/B+ grade for the price
Okay, thanks for your comment. I'm really interested in this Link because I love the regular version and I don't have a knife in M390 steel, so I'd like to add one to my collection, and since the cost isn't that bad, I was hoping the Link would be a good choice. Just out of curiosity, what folder knife do you use for heavy use?

Just my opinion here, but you can get a nicer knife for the money without M390 steel. It's still a $30 frame with (at best) adequately heat treated M390. While I do have a bottom I'm unwilling to stoop beneath, I'd take S35VN, XHP or even CPM 154 over M390 if it was going to save me $200 on a M390 Shirogorov or Microtech etc. Given the handle, grinds etc are identical.

I'm one of those knife people who really wants the edge to always be hair splitting, and I just don't see a big difference in that 1% of edge retention between the big boy steels. They all get dull for my tastes in the same amount of time. I could not tell you which one keeps a working edge the longest. So my take that into account. If you're looking for a working edge, my anecdote here is useless.

Yeah, I have the regular version, and I love it too. I'm interested in hearing about the M390 steel on this knife, but I couldn't agree with your friend more...the regular Link is a very solid knife.

If you already have a Link and have been using it, then if you treat a new Link in M390 the same way, you won't have any problems. What you'll gain with M390 vs 420 is better edge retention. The knife itself isn't different, just the steel. It's not a hard use knife to begin with regardless of the steel.

Okay, thanks for your comment. I'm really interested in this Link because I love the regular version and I don't have a knife in M390 steel, so I'd like to add one to my collection, and since the cost isn't that bad, I was hoping the Link would be a good choice. Just out of curiosity, what folder knife do you use for heavy use?

For heavy and super-heavy use I use my pocket tanks, anything that has 5mm / 0.19685 inches thick blade - My favourites: ColdSteel 4Max (pocket beast) with CPM 20CV steel made in USA (not made in Italy version), ColdSteel SR1 (Pocket tank) with S35VN blade...

Other ones I have for heavy use I do not use they are display pieces very expensive $500-$1000 knives, but could also be used (they were designed to be abused): Strider SFM, Rick Hinderer Full Track, Chris Reeve Large Sebenza...

I've been following the buzz on M390 here and elsewhere. It's a great steel. The issue seems to be that lots of companies are running it softer than it could be, or that some customers expect it to be. That doesn't mean that it will be bad. It's just that it could be better. Of course, that's true for other steels as well. Apparently, it takes more time and care to get more out of various steels and there can be challenges to doing that with affordable production knives.

Here is a spreadsheet for some of the independent steel testing that has been going on. Notice that a lot of the M390 knives are coming in around 58-60 HRC. It looks like two Kershaw Dividends in M390 have been tested here and I'm guessing that's a reasonable reference point for the Link.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OepNr_D4lqbdTFqdqWl1rmAd4bOzPzJe6J0iEWrdJGU/edit#gid=0

I've been following the buzz on M390 here and elsewhere. It's a great steel. The issue seems to be that lots of companies are running it softer than it could be, or that some customers expect it to be. That doesn't mean that it will be bad. It's just that it could be better. Of course, that's true for other steels as well. Apparently, it takes more time and care to get more out of various steels and there can be challenges to doing that with affordable production knives.

Here is a spreadsheet for some of the independent steel testing that has been going on. Notice that a lot of the M390 knives are coming in around 58-60 HRC. It looks like two Kershaw Dividends in M390 have been tested here and I'm guessing that's a reasonable reference point for the Link.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OepNr_D4lqbdTFqdqWl1rmAd4bOzPzJe6J0iEWrdJGU/edit#gid=0
Yeah, that's information I have been finding. Thank you for this information, it is very helpful. I would like to thank everyone for their responses...again, very helpful, informative and interesting.

I had a poor experience with the link. The pocket clip fell off after 2 weeks and the speed safe spring broke. The frame has a lot of flex in my experience as well. (Mine was a plastic framed model. 8cr13mov steel) The knife was a kershaw warranty replacement for a broken freefall I had, so I didn't feel right returning that one to them as well. On a more positive note, I ended out JB welding the pocket clip back on and gave to a friend as a work knife. :D He still carry's it almost a year later and just opens the blade by hand. :) That is a really good price for m390 though, it might be worth it just to give the steel a shot. And the Kershaw warranty is fantastic if you have problems they will take care of you in my experience.

That said if you mainly want to use the knife, I would recommended your money would be better spent on a cold steel in ctsxhp, or a spyderco with cheaper steel. Just me 2cents though.:) Best of luck either way. Please make sure to give us an update how you like it of you get it.

Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate it. I'm a knife nut myself, and I have many, but nothing in the M390 steel. I think a lot of people are always looking to get one of the higher end steels at a cheap price, and the fact that I have the original Kershaw Link and liked it made me feel pretty good about buying it. Oh well, I am always coming up with another good excuse to buy another knife, and what my wife don't know won't hurt her...at least, that's how I justify it...

kershaw is releasing a link in 20cv for something like 74 bucks. I hear kershaw heat treats their "super" steels to a slightly lower RC for average users to make it a bit tougher as they know their blades are well used .

This is actually a positive for me as Im about worthless sharpening 20cv , m390 and all those more rugged stainless steels. So I might pick a link up in that 20cv . Ill have to buy a diamond stone either way though for that bad larry !

EDIT : Looks like its already out ! https://www.bladehq.com/item--Kershaw-Link-Drop-Point-Knife-Olive--105987

kershaw is releasing a link in 20cv for something like 74 bucks. I hear kershaw heat treats their "super" steels to a slightly lower RC for average users to make it a bit tougher as they know their blades are well used .

This is actually a positive for me as Im about worthless sharpening 20cv , m390 and all those more rugged stainless steels. So I might pick a link up in that 20cv . Ill have to buy a diamond stone either way though for that bad larry !

EDIT : Looks like its already out ! https://www.bladehq.com/item--Kershaw-Link-Drop-Point-Knife-Olive--105987
Let us know how it is once you've gotten and used it. I like the handle color

I have a Link with FRN scales and one with aluminum scales. I tend to prefer the FRN scales for the slightly better grip it affords. The smooth aluminum on the Link almost feels slippery to me. I also rarely carry an assisted open knife.

The new 20CV Link mentioned above has aluminum scales but unlike the other aluminium Links, there's a little bit of milling to provide grip. That, and being a little cheaper, would make it the "super-steel" winner among the Links.
Kershaw-Link-DP-Olive-Aluminum-SW-1776OLSW-BHQ-105987-jr-3.jpg

Depends what you are looking for in terms of size/wt, feel, construction, etc.

FWIW, I've got the Link Dividend and Knockout in M390. I prefer the Knockout based on size/wt and feel which is what is most important to me.

The "quality" of the steel and it's "performance" is basically irrelevant to me because I don't use any of the knives in my collection to do more than cut paper or tape. I just buy M390 knives, when I have a choice, because I know that's what other people want/expect in case I want to resell them later.

The spring in my 20 year old Blackout finally gave up the ghost last week. I called Kershaw to see about buying the part and 4 days later new springs were in my mail free of charge.
qelz2qe.jpg

From what testing I've seen, their M390 doesn't necessarily perform that great, but it is really M390 if that's what you're asking. I'd sooner prioritize a lower alloy steel like XHP or S35VN that is heat treated better than buying a great steel with a marginal heat treat. For example, Cold Steel's XHP or S35VN might actually perform better than Kershaw M390, even if Kershaw's M390 knives come up around 60 HRC.

I'm still enjoying my M390 Dividend. Due to the form factor, aluminum scales, etc., I treat it as a dainty "gentleman's knife". So it doesn't get used for big tasks, cutting cardboard, etc. It gets used to open the occasional package, trim a loose thread, etc. The combination of "super steel" and light use means that it's still wearing a factory edge and doing just fine.

For people interested in more serious use, check with the YouTube cut testers. There is a lot of general discussion in Steve's video. The take-away seems to be that Kershaw's "budget" M390 is just that. It's okay. It's probably decent for the price. Like other steels, a better treatment will yield better results.

Kershaw vs Bradford M390 - Outpost76

Kershaw vs Benchmade M390 - SuperSteel Steve

Back