Is the Machete getting more popular?

Joezilla

Moderator- Wilderness and Survival Skills
Is it just in my twisted machete loving head, or is the machete starting to get more popular as a multi-function tool. survival tool. I would love to hear everyone's input on this.

I don't see anyone on the trails where I live with a machete. Of course I'm usually the only one with a belt knife too so what does that tell you?

Seems to at least be the concensus on the forums currently IMO. I've always been fond machetes but for the last 2 years have been more and more interested. Cheap, easy to mod without fear of damaging and they do almost anything you could want for a light camper like myself. Still even though they are cheap can't help but want to make one. Must... fight... urge..... 3V.......

Always a fan of the machete....but then again...I was born and raised in Hawai'i....:D

When I was younger, a machete was a machete, I had no idea about the specific they could be. So nowadays, with my maturing interest in cutlery and W&SS, I'm paying more attention to specific features/designs/specs and looking to learn proper techniques.

i live in hawaii we always use machetes,you will never or very rarely find someone using a belt ax or hatchet in the woods here or i never came across someone carring one,but i carry a machete an alot of people i know that hunt or hike will have one strapped to there pack.infact thinking of ordering a condor jungle saber ,,aloha

I can only speak for myself, but I find a machete vital for a lot of the woods bumming I do. Half the time I'm in the woods, I'm in an area with no trails and there are a lot of draws to move through. Plenty of vines and thorns to get through and a machete makes that a whole lot easier.

For most outtings, if I plan on cutting stuff less than 4" in diameter, I'll just take the machete or a good chopper. Anything over that, I take the Riflemans Hawk.

If you're bumming through trails in GA, it's very unlikely that you'll need a machete for anything other than fun, but if you're an "off the trail" person like me, they're wonderful.

I have definitely noticed more and more people asking about and buying goloks, machetes, and other stuff like that. I think it's more of a self-perpetuating thing where you get people who use them regularly being seen by people who don't and don't necessarily need one, and then they want one too just because it seems useful and it's another cool toy to purchase.

It's much like guys buying winches for their trucks even though they don't ever pull themselves or anyone else out of a ditch or mudhole, but the other truck guys have them so they have to have one too. Looks cool hanging off the front of the truck.

It's just another toy. It is one that's inceasing in popularity though, especially when you get guys like Jeff Randall who are jungle survival icons talking about how they don't need anything other than a cheap machete and a small knife. People read that and they forget that they don't live in the jungle or anywhere else that requires real use of a machete as the best tool for the job.

My modded 12" Ontario is a corner stone of my woods-running trio that includes a B.G. Andrews bushcrafter and Leatherman. Of course Ive always got a SAK in my pocket so I guess that makes it a quartet.;) The hardest part for me was finding a good quality sheath in 12". I finally did at Ben Meadows outdoor tool catalog.--KV

I think Machetes are getting more populare, specially around here (central Utah). In the last year I've gotten at least 8 machetes and have really started using them. Neighbors see me using them on campouts and want to use them also.

My 14" Tramontina Bolo saw a bit of use last weekend on some recent green dead fall around camp. It did a great job and bit off large chuncks of the Quaking Aspen we were clearing. Thinking I'll have to add a machete to my large backpack next spring. BTW Not sure if I would have gotten my Tram back from the friend that was using it, he really liked it.

Heber

I know they are getting more popular with me, at least. I didn't give them much thought until I joined this forum and realized just how much potential for versatility was there. So, thanks to you guys here, I'm loving 'em.

I've been a die hard Machete deciple for some time... Love'em Imho one of the most versatile tools a body can have... in temps above freezing.

My modded 12" Ontario is a corner stone of my woods-running trio that includes a B.G. Andrews bushcrafter and Leatherman. Of course Ive always got a SAK in my pocket so I guess that makes it a quartet.;) The hardest part for me was finding a good quality sheath in 12". I finally did at Ben Meadows outdoor tool catalog.--KV
I was thinking about mod'ing my 2 foot Imacasa by chopping it in half. What's the most you expect to get out of that one? In other words, what is the heaviest use you put it through before you feel you need something bigger?

I've been a fan of the machete in various forms since I was a kid. I have only two at the moment, and love them both, but I'm going to buy the new Condor bolo as soon as I have a few extra dollars.

My favorite of all time I think, was a USMC WW 2 bolo (also called the USMC Hospital Corpsman Knife) that I bought surplus when I was a kid. It was a short, thick monster that was a great chopper. Sadly, I lost it somewhere. If I ever get enough money, I'd like to have one of our great makers here make me something similar (with a few modifications).

Yeah, I'm a machete fan.

I think more and more people are seeing the usefullness of a chete as a camp tool. Paired with a small fixed blade, a good quality chete *cough*condor*cough* is hard to beat. My 2 cents.....

I think more and more people are seeing the usefullness of a chete as a camp tool. Paired with a small fixed blade, a good quality chete *cough*condor*cough* is hard to beat. My 2 cents.....

Why are you coughing when you say Condor? Is there any other kind? To my mind, Condor has become synonymous with machete.

I grew up in the midst of Boreal forest and now live in temperate/hardwood forested (historically) area. My heritage is solidly axe country and that is what I was taught to use. I never really saw anyone using a machete until traveling south. I can certainly see their uses. I'd like to have a nice one - like that conversation about a rat/condor collaboration. In the end though, I think I'd feel kind of silly toting a machete in public lands of Northern Ontario. They are great for brush work on private lands!

Not exactly sure about getting MORE popular, but they have gained a lot of popularity in the last year, in my opinion. I have seen many more people with them recently. Not really sure why, but around where I live a machete isn't something you really need, just more of a fun thing to play with out in the bush.

Back