Is the Mantis Pit Boss a Good Knife?

Mantis is not well respected. They were found to be falsifying information on what alloys they were using. Most of us also find their designs to be outlandish. And they were made in China.

The knife in question is a case in point. I note that the blurb says that the alloy is "CPM 440V". That alloy has not been made in over a decade. And it has not been called "CPM 440V" in even longer.
Crucible first named that alloy CPM 440V, then the name was changed to CPM S60V. Then it was dropped from production. It was never made in huge quantities. The chances of that knife actually having S60V blade steel are nil. Especially at that price point.

Mantis is not well respected. They were found to be falsifying information on what alloys they were using. Most of us also find their designs to be outlandish. And they were made in China.

The knife in question is a case in point. I note that the blurb says that the alloy is "CPM 440V". That alloy has not been made in over a decade. And it has not been called "CPM 440V" in even longer.
Crucible first named that alloy CPM 440V, then the name was changed to CPM S60V. Then it was dropped from production. It was never made in huge quantities. The chances of that knife actually having S60V blade steel are nil. Especially at that price point.
Okay thanks for the heads up. I just liked the design. I’ll take a pass and keep looking.

Mantis is not well received on Bladeforums. Long memories here of when the owner was less than reputable. They are essentially a low tier, foreign production knife company. Exotic designs. Honestly I am surprised the brand is still around, given that they have been producing the same designs for the last ten years or so.

I still have a small place in my heart for Mantis since they were among the first knives I bought on getting into the hobby.

Mantis one of the least respected knife companies 'round here. The owner, Jared West, had the brilliant idea of having the fanboys (the so-called Mantis Militia) on his forum spam this forum with posts about how great his knives were. Obviously that didn't go over well. Knarfang already covered the issue about the authenticity of the steel. I'll add to that the fact that Mantis, as a company, hasn't existed for a number of years now, so the fact that there's apparently still Mantis knives in stock somewhere should say plenty about the quality of them.

After Mantis went down the toilet, Jared West forme QU4RTERM4STER or however the #$^% the stupid thing was spelled. Some designs carried over, some were new, and some were obvious rip-offs of come custom makers' designs. They claimed to have a huge, impressive knife museum, as well as a state-of-the-art manufacturing facility, at an address in Texas that obviously couldn't house either, and the machining equipment footage they advertised exactly matched that as advertised by a company in China, yet they claimed that they were made in the USA. Many dealers that sold Quartermaster knives dropped the "Made in USA" claim in their descriptions, some stopped selling them altogether.

Last I heard, Jared West was running a car wash. He also completely screwed over his dad, but I can't remember the details of that story.

So, you might like the design, but you'd be buying a knife of questionable quality, dubious materials including mystery steel, and without any expectation of warranty or repair service. I won't question your taste, but that knife might be one of the least unergonomic of his designs. Most look like they were designed specifically to be as uncomfortable and painful as possible to use.

So, you might like the design, but you'd be buying a knife of questionable quality, dubious materials including mystery steel, and without any expectation of warranty or repair service. I won't question your taste, but that knife might be one of the least unergonomic of his designs. Most look like they were designed specifically to be as uncomfortable and painful as possible to use.

Oh wow, I didn’t know all that. Glad I checked here first.

The Kizer Mini Sheepdog isn't entirely dissimilar to the Mantis Pit Boss. Civivi Mini Bullmastiff. There's actually quite a few different knives out there with a short, stout, sheepsfoot/cleaver style blade. It just depends on how much you're willing to spend. And of course, for breaking down boxes, there's nothing wrong and a lot of things right with a Gerber EAB or similar folding utility blade knife.

The Cold Steel Tuff Lite actually looks pretty good ergonomically, with a .11" thick blade it should be a nice slicer and is at great price.

Mantis one of the least respected knife companies 'round here. The owner, Jared West, had the brilliant idea of having the fanboys (the so-called Mantis Militia) on his forum spam this forum with posts about how great his knives were. Obviously that didn't go over well.

Those were the days!!;)

Mantis one of the least respected knife companies 'round here. The owner, Jared West, had the brilliant idea of having the fanboys (the so-called Mantis Militia) on his forum spam this forum with posts about how great his knives were....
Planterz Planterz ,
Thank you for that concise summary!
It should be a sticky somewhere!

Having only been around here a few years, I was aware of some of the story. I never got around to searching all the old posts to put it together in context.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Planterz; he moved the declassified security system, think tanks, multi level museum and all the other Norad technology to the car wash; here he is in one of his state of the art planning and development outfits

Back