Is the "wire clip" Spyderco use patented ?

Just curious about it. It's often considered as one of the best clip out-there and I don't understand why no more manufacturers use those kind of clip.

I would also want to know why it's so highly regarded, as a clip. Is it just because it looks good or is there more to it ?

Thanks.

I like them because all the edges are rounded. That means they don't catch on my surroundings and cannot scratch anything that I happen to brush against or sit on. I also find them very secure,

It's actually kind of loved and hated from my experience. People love it because it's lightweight, it holds pretty good, and it kind of just looks nice. The negative thing about it I think is sometimes it can bend if you snag it on something. Personally I love it for small knives, not so much in a bigger knives (Spydiechef). For what it is, a bent piece of metal wire, it works surprisingly well.

It’s not patented, other makers use it too; Giant Mouse comes to mind.

I wouldn’t call it one of the best clips, personally I’m not a big fan. The stamped clip on an Endura/Delica/etc is more secure IMO. Aesthetically, it looks really good, which is why I think it gets high praise.

My “King” of pocket clips is CRK.

I'm with lieferung lieferung as far as preferring the wire clip for smaller knives and do love the way it looks. I'm also with The Aflac Duck The Aflac Duck in his assessment that the CRK clip is the best out there. For all the Russian knives I have with sculpted clips, that feature is really not one I'm particularly fond of. Stamped spring clips with well-raised rounded engagements rule.

I’ve never liked wire clips. I prefer Spyderco’s standard hourglass clips, as well as the standard CRK clip.

Jim

Several other manufacturers from the very low end to higher end use it. I for one am not a fan, I don't think it's very comfortable in the hand, because the two loops poke into the hand, as opposed to just a single piece.

I have one spyderco with that clip and that will be the only one with that junk clip...hate it...gave it a chance even thou aesthetically it hurts my eyes and I've had that paper clip design bend and fail on other knives...I just don't get it...a high quality knife with super steel and carbon fiber and we'll slap a cheap paper clip on it...WHY...I get it for the lightweight versions but outside of those please spyderco stop it...imo a quality knife deserves a quality clip that compliments the knife and a paper clip ain't that

Love it.
Mostly because I despise the extra holes in my knives, just an eyesore that makes something expensive look cheap.
If I wanted cheap I'd buy cheap and live with it.
The wire clip recess on the opposite side I don't seem to mind though.
Also agree with Knarfeng with it being rather unobtrusive with decent retention.
And yes, there are a bunch of makers using wire clips.

I love the wire clip. I wish it was more commonplace on Spyderco models. I like the normal spydie clip too, but it feels like the end sticks up a bit too far and i always feel like its going to snag on something.

Not a fan. I have one knife with it and it will be my last. A Spyderco D'Allara 3. A wonderful knife except for that wire clip.

Benchmade has a great system where most of their knives have interchangeable clips. You would think Spyderco would follow that same basic idea.

One day I walk up to my car with my arms full. Elderly couple parked a little too close and when the lady exited the passenger side of the truck, the door bumped me. I was just a touch off center and it caused me to go forward a bit. With full arms, I wasn't able to just reach out and recover and subsequently leaned into my door.

My Delica left this as a reminder of the incident:

9lEsbg6.jpg

Granted, it was an accident that required a few things to come together at the exact right moment, but they did. Also granted that it had been years in my pocket, but again, it happened. And I then I began to notice how many others were mentioning clips scratching things in their use. I went to wire clips only after this.

I like 'em. The wire clip is a good fit on my Sage. A little different and works well. NA Skaha II has one, too. Seems to fit the knife just right.

I don’t like them, hence why I don’t own anymore Spydercos that use the wire clip. The hourglass are the best IMO, and as mentioned here the CRK clip is by far the best out of all pocket clips.

I like them because all the edges are rounded. That means they don't catch on my surroundings and cannot scratch anything that I happen to brush against or sit on. I also find them very secure,

My exact thoughts about the wire clip as well. It also seems to be more suited to pants without pockets, and just using the waistband like gym shorts and sweatpants.

I have not had it long on a bigger knife, a manix 2 LW, but I think it handles this size knife okay, but it really shines on smaller knives like the sage and dragonfly. They also carry really subtly compared to a standard spoon shaped spring clip, even if the spoon is a nicer look overall. I like to have options. I specifically sought out the manix LW for hiking use since I do sweatpants a lot in the winter.

I like the wire clip a lot. I find they grab better than the flat clips since they have 2 small contact points vs. one big one.

To each their own. It's by far the clip I dislike the most in the knife world, and that is actually a deal breaker on many Spyderco knives for me. It would be OK if confined on sub-$100 models but it is also implemented on much expensive pieces.

Last edited:
The wire clip is OK on small and lightweight folders, like Delica, DF, and maybe LW PM3. I definitely do not want it on bigger/heavier folders like PM2, Manix 2, and Military.

Back