Is there a better fixed blade then the BK16 for the $$?

I've owned a couple fixed blades over the past couple years to compliment whatever folder is on hand but lately it seems like they've all gone missing on me. I've been cruising around and doing some window shopping for one to keep in the truck. The Becker BK16 struck me as well liked and a solid for the money knife. Is there anything else in that range I should be looking at? I don't really have my heart set on anything in particular. Just something quality and reliable.

I think you might get a better response to your question in the General Knife Discussion. The traditional in the title of this forum, Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades, applies to both folders and fixed blades.
I'll move it there.

Ontario 488 Pilot Survival Knife and/or 489 Marine Fighting Knife?

After handling a 499 pilot survival knife (I'm assuming that's what you meant) it's relatively cumbersome to do any real work with and has a small blade for the handle size, while the blade is too thick for decent fine work and too short for good wood prep. The crossbar gets in the way, too, and the weight is quite high for the size.

Sure, it's under $50 but I'd pick the BK16 any day.

Bark River Little Canadian, this is awesome.

Yeah, but it's more than twice the price of the BK16, kinda outside the topic of this thread.

My Gerber Strongarm is a solid knife for about $20 less then the BK16. Check out the reviews on utube.

Pete seems to like the Strongarm. not the greatest but a very decent knife.

I've got two BK-16's and one is my daily carry when I'm out taking care of small repair jobs. It's a lot handier than digging out a folding knife or fiddling with a Leatherman when you just need to cut something quickly. Small but robust, hold a great edge, easy to sharpen, and not expensive.

BK-16 is my go-to for everyday stuff, including woods-walking and fishing trips. I'm also fond of my BK-15 and 17, great little mid-size knives.

Another attribute of Becker knives not yet mentioned in this thread is the backing of Kabar/Becker. If you ever have a problem - it's probably covered.

I may be biased as an unabashed and admitted Beckerhead but the Sweet 16, as it is sometimes called nails it!

It's the right knife at the right size, the right weight, the right price and the right steel 1095 is a fantastic woodsman's knife steel and 1095 CroVan tweaks it to even better. That Ethan Becker himself is readily available and KaBar's customer service is very well known (and appreciated) seals the deal.

If I could only have one fixed blade knife int his size range, I would take the BK-15 which is discontinued. My very close second choice would be the BK-16.

For whatever it's worth, Ethan Becker himself has been known to say that if there's dirt beneath my shoes - there's a BK-16 on my belt. Ethan is often seen at Gatherings and what not with a BK-16 on his belt ... and he can carry any darned thing he wants and has more knives than many of us put together.

I've always admired the BK-16's shape and utility. Never used one, though. Isn't the textured coating somewhat counter productive?
I've used the Ontario Pilot's knife as a hard use knife for years. Works great, but too heavy for comfortable belt carry for me.
My latest fixed blade purchase is the Wally World Buck 632 Mesa. Similar(?) concept, but different in the details. The price may be attractive to you, as the last few have gone missing. I could live without the thumb rest and the recurve. But, so far, the former hasn't been a problem and could be easily removed. The latter hasn't been an issue sharpening on rods or a Sharpmaker.
I suppose Buck's bright red camp knife could be a contender, but I don't get why it costs more than the 632. 5160 vs 420HC.

Have fun shopping!

IMHO, Buck's red camp knife is horrid. Give me the 632 any day. Even with it's combo edge and plastic sheath.

Buck offers a bunch of models based one the same platform as the 632. Great concept.

...If I could only have one fixed blade knife int his size range, I would take the BK-15 which is discontinued. My very close second choice would be the BK-16.

For whatever it's worth, Ethan Becker himself has been known to say that if there's dirt beneath my shoes - there's a BK-16 on my belt. Ethan is often seen at Gatherings and what not with a BK-16 on his belt ... and he can carry any darned thing he wants and has more knives than many of us put together.

Yep. Ethan carries the BK-16 and a SAK for the most part as I recall. Like you, I prefer the BK-15, but the BK-16 is a second choice for this price range and function.

Back