Is there a list that describes all the spyderco steels?

colubrid

Gold Member
Just wondering if there is a list that decrbes the pros and cons of each stell and makes comparisoons .

I must have 10 different spyderco steels.

Here are a few off the top of my head that I pocess:

ATS-55 Ranger
CPM 440V Military
VG-10 endura
GIN-1 Police
G-2 Copilot
CPM S30V Para-military
VG-10 ATR

Can anyone explain the differences between these ???????

Let's see...
GIN-1/G-2
ATS-34
ATS-55
AUS-6
AUS-8
VG-10
S30V
S60V/440V
S90V
ZDP-189
CPM D2
BG-42
H-1
and I don't even have one of the AUS-10 Natives. Yep, Spyderco has used a bunch of different steels. I can see how it would be confusing to walk into. As for a rundown on how they compare, a lot of good information has been linked, but there are no simple answers. You can study the information and other people's test results forever, but I feel I learn more about the steels by using them than by reading about them.

If you ask specific questions, I might be able to answer them, or at least relate my own unscientific experience. Spyderco has never used a bad steel, but each has its own strengths and weaknesses.

I agree with Yablanowitz completely. If you look, you see nothing but high quality steels. Sometimes, as in AUS10A, Sal wanted to give his end users experience in other, less often seen high quality steels.

The drive to improve the knives has been pretty relentless over the years. Sal has led the way in quite a few things over the years. One example was 440v/s60V steel. Spyderco was the company that introduced it into production. New techniques had to be developed to do this.

He has tried to satisfy the steel junky, knife knuts in quite a few ways. The latest and best is the "mule team" project.

It's not a big money making endeauver for the company. It's strictly for the people that aren't satisfied when they aren't breaking new ground, or trying new things. It's a lot to go through to cater to enthusiasts.

Other companies would prefer to cater to the low cost, box store crowd , while Sal is lining up new steels, figuring out who knows about them, working hard to find the best heat treat, grinds, etc. and bring them to the guys that bug him everyday on the forums.

That's Sal though. Joe

what about the H1 from the salt series? Is this an easier steel to sharpen? I actually prefer steels that only take a few licks on ceramic sticks to make them sharp. I cannot get any of the new spyderco steels sharp. I guess i need to buy one of those Spyderco 'Sharpmakers'..

Is the Sharpmaker the best one to buy for spyderco? or are the diamond sticks better. if so which brand should i get?

H-1 sharpens fairly easily in my admittedly limited experience. Although I do almost all my sharpening freehand on diamond hones, the SharpMaker is an excellent tool. I highly recommend it, especially if you are having trouble getting your Spydies sharp. Many of Spyderco's steels (especially the S30V, S60V/440V, S90V series) are very abrasion resistant, and can be difficult and time-consuming to sharpen on the relatively fine ceramics of the SharpMaker, so you may want to consider the diamond rods for the SharpMaker as well.

Back