Is there a name for this specific type of pattern?

A specific name like the way a "trapper" or "stockman" has. These smaller lockbacks that usually feature a drop point and a handle that curves continuously with the blade. Knives like this Old Timer 3OT or smaller Bucks like the 501 and 503.

qbsaxyH.jpg

wxGKtLE.jpg

Et8xrWg.jpg

I always called them a small lock back hunter depending on the design or a gents knife if it’s slim and sleek.

'Drop-point lockback' is what comes to my mind.

In the example of that Schrade 3 OT lacking a 'cap' at the butt of the handle (as with the Buck models shown), Schrade apparently calls that feature 'Bearhead', BTW. Not sure how that 'bear' term originated. I usually think 'bare head', as in 'uncapped'.

Don't know if the pattern ever had a specific name, otherwise.

I just call them "Small Lockbacks", and "not for me.", since that is what they are. :).

EDIT:
I believe the tiny 3 - 3.5 inch closed are called a "Mustang".

Last edited:
So while it sounds like they never really got any kind of official designation, it seems the most specific name for them would be something along the lines of "small folding hunter" or "small lockback hunter".

In searching Google for 'Schrade 3 OT', it seems all the prominent links to major dealers do call it a 'Bearhead' (which has me scratching my 'bare head', quite literally). And on 'oldtimerknives.com', it's also called 'Bearhead' as well.

Probably schrade making a pun of the name. Or someone in marketing made a mistake and schrade decided to just roll with it. Something along those lines.

The correct term for a knife without caps on the butt end is a barehead jack but Schrade made a play on the word since the owners' last name was Baer, hence the name bearhead.

Eric

Didn't several of the "low number" Old Timer lockbacks have ursine names?
3OT: Bearhead lockback
5OT: Bruin lockback
6OT: Golden Bear lockback
7OT: Cave Bear lockback

Of course, the last 3 may have just been continuing the precedent set with the Bearhead, however that came about.

- GT

On topic, i say both of these are small lockbacks

iiOBVNh.jpg

One drop point, one clip point. You might be able to fit either in a sub category from there, i donno.

Back