1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Is there a name for this specific type of pattern?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by sailfish, Nov 20, 2020.

1. sailfish

sailfish Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 1, 2019
    A specific name like the way a "trapper" or "stockman" has. These smaller lockbacks that usually feature a drop point and a handle that curves continuously with the blade. Knives like this Old Timer 3OT or smaller Bucks like the 501 and 503.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Old Hunter likes this.
  2. nickvnlr

nickvnlr Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 23, 2014
    Drop point hunter?

sailfish likes this.
  3. Scott J.

Scott J. Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 8, 2019
    I just call them lockbacks or folding hunters, or even just Buck knives ( like you'd call any bandage a Band Aid)

Will Power and sailfish like this.
  4. Rookie82

Rookie82 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 25, 2014
    Everyone I know just refers to them as "lockbacks". Not sure why they never got a proper official name.

5. Lesknife

Lesknife Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 31, 2018
    I always called them a small lock back hunter depending on the design or a gents knife if it’s slim and sleek.

sailfish likes this.
  6. 'Drop-point lockback' is what comes to my mind.

In the example of that Schrade 3 OT lacking a 'cap' at the butt of the handle (as with the Buck models shown), Schrade apparently calls that feature 'Bearhead', BTW. Not sure how that 'bear' term originated. I usually think 'bare head', as in 'uncapped'.

Don't know if the pattern ever had a specific name, otherwise.

sailfish and Lesknife like this.
  7. afishhunter

afishhunter Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 21, 2014
    I just call them "Small Lockbacks", and "not for me.", since that is what they are. :).

EDIT:
    I believe the tiny 3 - 3.5 inch closed are called a "Mustang".

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    sailfish likes this.
  8. meako

meako Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2006
    Folding Hunter

sailfish likes this.
  9. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Schrade spelled it bearhead? Because I think you're right about the barehead.

10. sailfish

sailfish Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 1, 2019
    So while it sounds like they never really got any kind of official designation, it seems the most specific name for them would be something along the lines of "small folding hunter" or "small lockback hunter".

11. In searching Google for 'Schrade 3 OT', it seems all the prominent links to major dealers do call it a 'Bearhead' (which has me scratching my 'bare head', quite literally). And on 'oldtimerknives.com', it's also called 'Bearhead' as well.

scrteened porch likes this.
  12. sceva

sceva Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 18, 2002
    I have called the smaller ones Gent's Lockbacks

13. Mass1632

Mass1632 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 24, 2019

Probably schrade making a pun of the name. Or someone in marketing made a mistake and schrade decided to just roll with it. Something along those lines.

scrteened porch likes this.
  14. ea42

ea42 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 1, 2006
    The correct term for a knife without caps on the butt end is a barehead jack but Schrade made a play on the word since the owners' last name was Baer, hence the name bearhead.

Eric

15. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Didn't several of the "low number" Old Timer lockbacks have ursine names?
    3OT: Bearhead lockback
    5OT: Bruin lockback
    6OT: Golden Bear lockback
    7OT: Cave Bear lockback

Of course, the last 3 may have just been continuing the precedent set with the Bearhead, however that came about.

- GT

16. Mass1632

Mass1632 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 24, 2019
    On topic, i say both of these are small lockbacks

[​IMG]

One drop point, one clip point. You might be able to fit either in a sub category from there, i donno.

sailfish likes this.