is there anyone out there?

finally!!! Wow was that ever a pain in the a$$.
SORRY guys!!
redface.gif

O-1, Third time's the charm, Hang in there, can't let these damn machines can't get us down. On the subject of vareation, I let my surprises come from the vareations on the damascus paterns and stick fairly close to the basic design I start with. The damascus patern and the blade have to fit each other so at times I do have to make a new piece of steel cause the first one isn't going to look worth a crap on that style of blade.

biggrin.gif

------------------
old pete

I am with you O-1. I feeeeel your vibe. To me, duplicating a knif , that is making near exact multiples of a pattern is a great feat of skill, but for my personal work I usually work with a *general* idea of what I want. They do not always come from the forge exactly as i intended. and these are the blades I use to explore a bit further, a different profile, a different proportion, grind, etc. It becomes a process of discovery. Some of the most sucessful blades start as clunkers because i did not discard them, but went somewhere else with 'em. Efficient? probably not. do i grow a little with the experience? Yes.

I draw the knife, glue it to the steel, and grind it. If I dont like it, changes can be made, but mostly it comes out the way I want it to. I've done it without the drawing too but that just doesn't work for me.

Back