Is this a Camillus?

Sirryacus

BANNED
I've had this quite awhile, I rescued it out of the bottom of a tackle box where it was rusting, I cannot find any markings that say Camillus and it does not have the US stamp of the military versions, Can Opener does say can opener on it but that's about it, believe it or not I've cleaned it some what so it was worse than this, I know there are copies of the style made by Marbles and others but this one seems too old to be any of those, thanks in advance for any help.

DSCN7823_zpshkiqnnjx.jpg

DSCN7826_zpsh9xlqwuw.jpg

DSCN7827_zpsebh5qij5.jpg

The only thing that leads me towards no is the fact that the spear blade doesn't say Camillus and that it appears to be shaped differently. Other than that, the other tools are remarkably similar. Knives have been made without the "US" on it. So, in conclusion, I'd say it's a definite maybe. Sorry!

The ones made by Kingston had "KINGSTON" stamped into the bail. If you gently clean the bail, you will probably find remnants of the stamp. Everyone else stamped the blade, to my recollection.

The ones made by Kingston had "KINGSTON" stamped into the bail. If you gently clean the bail, you will probably find remnants of the stamp. Everyone else stamped the blade, to my recollection.
Thanks, judging by some other pictures I saw online that's most likely it.

The Kingston civilian versions of the MIL-K pattern were sold beginning in 1946 through IKAC ( which owned the Kingston mark) and even through Sears. There were three blade cattle knife variants. The Sears knives may not have the bail marked but may have had a blade etch.

I guess I'm gonna have to do some more cleaning and hopefully reveal some more info.

IMHO, with the screwdriver blade at the same end of the knife as the main,(spearpoint) blade, and the wider style awl/punch blade, it's likely a 1944 produced knife. There are examples of the "U.S. MARINE CORP", "U.S.", and unmarked scale knives that have blank shackles and no other makers marks. Some of the shackles are only marked "U.S. 45".
There's also a difference in the location of the nail nick on the main blade, with some of them being located closer to the tip of the blade. I'm not sure when those appear or if they are produced simultaniously, but with the knives I've seen the blade with the higher nail nick seem to show up with the later made knives.

Back