Is this a Collins weight stamp?

15499384354553838860566070259953.jpg
Did Collins put the weight stamp under the poll and is it their font? And were their stickered axes also stamped? Or just the sticker?
I picked this up for $15 bucks the other day and, although it's kinda flat cheeked, in all other respects it is a quality axe.
y3JRPXY.jpg

jtb47So.jpg
Steel is of good hardness and the eye was made with care. It's much larger at the top and has a nice even taper to it. I'm thinking it might be a legitimus? Thanks for your help in advance and have a good evening all.

That axe is in great shape, if it's good steel you got a winner.
It doesnt look like a legitimus to me at all. They were clearly stamped, and that axe shows none of the typical style from that time. Nor does it seem it's been worn, weathered, or pitted enough to lose a stamp.
The weight mark looks like a more modern font to me.

Just a gut feeling, I'd say it's not a very old axe, as vintage axes go.

That's probably the original handle?

80's maybe

That axe is in great shape, if it's good steel you got a winner.
It doesnt look like a legitimus to me at all. They were clearly stamped, and that axe shows none of the typical style from that time. Nor does it seem it's been worn, weathered, or pitted enough to lose a stamp.
The weight mark looks like a more modern font to me.

Just a gut feeling, I'd say it's not a very old axe, as vintage axes go.

That's probably the original handle?

80's maybe
Thanks for your response! I agree that it isn't all that old. I just seem to recall seeing somewhere legitimus stickered axes from between 60's-80's(?) like you mentioned. Just something about it reminds me of a legitimus I've seen somewhere.
That 3 appears to be the same font that Kelly used at one time it's just larger.
But like you said, it's in great shape and the steel is great so whatever it is, it's a winner.

Thanks ITVD. I thought it was an S&N when i bought it. But once i got it home i realized the font(the 3 at least) doesn't match any other ones i have. Here is one example. 15499430153943458204493386750708.jpgUnless i finally found a Chineseium one!? I am thinking no on that though because the axe is a good one. A mystery... this is one instance when i DON'T like a mystery!

I’m not the expert so I welcome correction but I’m sticking with my original hypothesis and saying that both of yours are S&N. It’s not unthinkable that S&N had different fonts over the years.... right?
I would say yes if i didn't have so many. I think I've got over 20 now and they span pretty much the life if the company in age. I haven't seen that style 3 on any s&n as of yet. I know this was never stamped. It had to have a sticker. I guess I'll never know!! Aagghhhh

And I'm not an expert btw... Haha. AND i welcome the suggestions. I'd love to figure it out but I'm afraid there just isn't the data.
Also that is a beautiful s&n boys axe by the way!

I don't have any S&N heads, and haven't seen a chinese S&N, but can tell you that you wouldn't necessarily be able to tell any chinese head by its poor quality. I have a diamond head that was made in china and from all appearances it is a very high quality axe, with very sharp edges, decent steel, very well formed eye, etc. MUCH much higher quality at least in appearance than a collins M axe I have.

not saying that I think you have a chinese S&N but, am saying that not all chinese heads are obviously sub quality

Does the handle not look to have snow & Neally printed on it? Looks like it to me.
And the OBVIOUS points go to..... flyrod444. The correct points go to ithinkverydeeply, square peg and Maine20.
And thanks to muleman77 and flint77 too.
I get all the stupid points to myself...
My first instinct was correct but that number 3 is unlike any I've ever seen on a Snow & Neally. I'm willing to bet we have a bonified Chinese s&n here. Now i know what they look like! The pattern is different from any others I have as well. I'll do some comparison pictures later this evening.

Last edited:
The new axe is on the right. All the others are yankee pattern S&N's. The main difference is, besides being narrower in height, the curve downwards is sharper and near the heel. They are similar to Daytons which is what the new one is i believe.
gNJFxkX.jpg

It's wider and the curve is more gentle and begins basically from the poll but becomes more pronounced right in front of the eye. Here is a closer comparison from one that i originally thought might be a Chinese made one. (The one on the right)
5J9Qu4X.jpg
AFTpOkW.jpg

But again the three on the one on the right is exactly like all the other ones.
ktH6rhf.jpg

I thought this was interesting and worth working up. It's nice to have a place to document this stuff. I like the idea very much of building a wealth of knowledge that anyone can draw on. Take care everyone!

Back