Is this a MK1?

Good day all! I just purchased this knife and need some help identifying what it is exactly. From the pictures, you can see that it says KA-BAR OLEAN N.Y. on the tang. It has no markings on the reverse. It has a 5" blade and is 9 1/2" inches overall. I believe the blade is blued. Is this an early WWII Mk1?

I tried to post pictures on this forum and couldn't figure out how to do that so here is the eBay posting that I bought the knife.

Thank you!

Sure looks like it, to me. I'm sure someone with more historical knowledge than I have, will be along to provide more information.

Looks like one I had a while ago that I thought was a mk1.
I posted pics on here,and thanks to gunsil,turns out it was a 598-5 civilian or BSA from ww2.
Hope this helps.
Thank you Sanussi. I bet you are right. I wonder if Ka-Bar used the old MK1s to market to the civilians when they were transferring over to the MK2 government contract. They look just like an MK1 but without the USN designator. In any case, this knife is one of my favorites. It has such a good balance and grip.

Definitely a model 598 from 1943-1945. If a 5" blade, model 598-5. If it is really blued the bluing has been added well after the knife left the factory, Fleighter, they are not so similar to a MK1, MK1 has a different blade profile than a 598 and the 598 is a pre-war model made with blades from 4-8". Pre and post war 598s will have brass guard and aluminum pommels and the early WW2 versions have brass guard and wood pommels.

Hey Ed, I hope you and Liam are coming to the big show in Mystic, CT (actually in Groton now) April 31-May 1. This show makes the one day Marlborough shows look puny, better plan on coming on down!! 180 8' tables covered in knives!!

Last edited:
Thanks for thinking of us.

I dont know if its going to happen for us this year. Liam is still having trouble getting around on his leg, and we are down to one car at the moment. So it will be tough.

We were looking forward to it too.

Thank you Sanussi. I bet you are right. I wonder if Ka-Bar used the old MK1s to market to the civilians when they were transferring over to the MK2 government contract. They look just like an MK1 but without the USN designator. In any case, this knife is one of my favorites. It has such a good balance and grip.
No worries mate,glad to help!
The real thanks goes to gunsil for the info.:thumbsup:

The one like this I had didnt have a pommel and the washers were just about gone,no sheath either.
She was a bit of a mess,so I rehandled it with a 1/4 inch thick brass guard,stag/leather center section and alloy T6 pommel.
Looked very Randall like when done,wish I still had the pics to show you.
She was a lovely little knife and one I wished I had kept.(along with the kazillion others I've done,lol)
Congrats on the knife.:thumbsup:

Back