Is this a new sharpening discovery?

Doing a few light passes with a high grit over top of a low grit finish is nothing new unfortunately.

REK Knives REK Knives

Yeah but do you think is that what is leading the almost 50% improvement?

After thinking about it , i think most of the increased edge retention may come actually by not using lots of stones over 600 grit.

If you see the video where pete sharpens the m390 knives he used as a comparation he goes through 6-8 stones ending with a mirror polished edge which i think is making the knife underperform. If i recall correctly there is a article in knifesteelnerds where they show the best edge retention is on 600 grit or at least around that

REK Knives REK Knives

After thinking about it , i think most of the increased edge retention may come actually by not using lots of stones over 600 grit.

If you see the video where pete sharpens the m390 knives he used as a comparation he goes through 6-8 stones ending with a mirror polished edge which i think is making the knife underperform. If i recall correctly there is a article in knifesteelnerds where they show the best edge retention is on 600 grit or at least around that
I would need to see more testing done across a variety of knives with controls. It's difficult to draw conclusions off of one or two knives.

REK Knives REK Knives

Also when hand sharpening the more stones used is more chances to mess up the edge angle or mess up the apex of the edge by rounding it off or going too steep in angle. The other thought is that it doesn’t matter what stone you finish at if you didn’t get a good apex at the low stones first so you could have a knife that’s not fully apexed but polished to 8000 grit and it cut worse than a knife that’s fully apexed at 120-220 grit. Hand sharpening doesn’t really prove a lot of points or theories unless it’s done on thousands of knives to establish a known baseline and consistency.

I’ve been playing around with a 200 grit cbn wheel and then 600 grit cbn paste on a stripping wheel. It is a nice aggressive edge, lots of bite.

I had not heard of anyone doing different grits on different sides of the edge.

I’m a little surprised to see this attitude towards Cedric and ada channel. He may not be perfect but he has contributed a lot of cut test results and seems pretty unbiased in sharpeners/results. I appreciate his efforts and willingness to share.

https://knifesteelnerds.com/2019/02/11/can-catra-predict-rope-cutting-performance/

I’ve been playing around with a 200 grit cbn wheel and then 600 grit cbn paste on a stripping wheel. It is a nice aggressive edge, lots of bite.

I had not heard of anyone doing different grits on different sides of the edge.

I’m a little surprised to see this attitude towards Cedric and ada channel. He may not be perfect but he has contributed a lot of cut test results and seems pretty unbiased in sharpeners/results. I appreciate his efforts and willingness to share.

https://knifesteelnerds.com/2019/02/11/can-catra-predict-rope-cutting-performance/

Yeah he doesn't represent the results as anything other than anecdotal any way, nor make claims of any major expertise.

I though the results were pretty Interesting, given he had has several of the same steel in the test to compare to. I haven't heard of somone doing different grits on either side, as well. Nothing new about a toothy edge (he often tests toothy vs polished as well) but certainly interesting given the apparent extreme increase in cutting performance

Regarding Pete @ Cedric and Ada hate... I imagine some individuals get butt hurt when their favourite knife or brand doesn't score well. Reminds me of the Benchmade 3V Bailout debacle. 56HRC or something like that originally.

The negative waves come out because he's sloppy. Just like the new ground breaking discovery isn't new.

I have no time for folks that do sloppy work and push it on you tube while their fans spread the gospel.

There are quite a few members on here who can post a detailed explanation to their work and then a how to video.

The randoms who put a "don't forget to like and subscribe and tell my sponsors" along with a mystery link? Hard pass.

The randoms who put a "don't forget to like and subscribe and tell my sponsors" along with a mystery link? Hard pass.

I have never seen Pete say anything like this. Regardless, content creators who are putting out worthwhile content should be rewarded. This can be through sponsors, ads, Patreon, etc.. I have no qualms against creators getting what they deserve for the value they provide. Whether its educational or entertainment. For example, Walter Sorrells being sponsored and promoting his Patreon. Or Alec Steele providing a mix of entertainment and what it takes to build, while having sponsors to his videos. I consume this content and I see value in it. They should be paid.

I have never seen Pete say anything like this. Regardless, content creators who are putting out worthwhile content should be rewarded. This can be through sponsors, ads, Patreon, etc.. I have no qualms against creators getting what they deserve for the value they provide. Whether its educational or entertainment. For example, Walter Sorrells being sponsored and promoting his Patreon. Or Alec Steele providing a mix of entertainment and what it takes to build, while having sponsors to his videos. I consume this content and I see value in it. They should be paid.
Everyone should get paid for work.

If they want to use Blade Forums as a venue to attract revenue they should pay like the other service providers.

If they want to use Blade Forums as a venue to attract revenue they should pay like the other service providers.

If you think about it BF never pays anyone for content and makes a lot of money from people work.

The negative waves come out because he's sloppy. Just like the new ground breaking discovery isn't new.

I have no time for folks that do sloppy work and push it on you tube while their fans spread the gospel.

There are quite a few members on here who can post a detailed explanation to their work and then a how to video.

They come here to hunt subscribers :) Some kids /knife makers/ have over million subscribers and their video clips / knives making/ have over are million views .....I can bet that they earn more from that then what will earn knife maker selling knives :D

If you think about it BF never pays anyone for content and makes a lot of money from people work.
Two-way street :) Everyone makes money ......BF make money on you , you make money thanks to Blade forums :DFair !

They come here to hunt subscribers :) Some kids /knife makers/ have over million subscribers and their video clips / knives making/ have over are million views .....I can bet that they earn more from that then what will earn knife maker selling knives :D

N Natlek
Are you implying I'm pete?

Back