Is this a real wakizashi?

IMG

Is this a real wakizashi or a fake?

It looks faily old and i dont know for sure but it looks like there are marks on the tang.
IMG

IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG

Hard to say for certain judging by your photos. Either way it is in horrible condition. Need a closer shot of the nakago(tang), can't discern what the discoloration is on at the mekugi ana(hole), and it looks misplaced. Is that light reflection, was it recently drilled, etc., etc. The kissaki doesn't look right, but could be lighting or it could have been poorly reshaped. The tsuka(handle and fittings look modern and/or fake). The ito (wrap) is questionable as you have cropped out the knots.

If this is something you are thinking of buying, don't waste your time or money. In that condition and especially with that deep cut above the habaki, fake or not, it is worth very, read my lips, VERY little. It is not worth restoration. Even if you got it for free, what could you possibly learn from this blade ? What would you enjoy about it ?

it is hard to tell but the mekugi ana hole looks like it is not done by forging, which means to me it is most likely machined ie more modern, and no hamon line and no discernable kisaki, i say you have a modern blade

Back