1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Is this blade damage on ZT0456?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Weasipoint, Dec 13, 2020.

1. Weasipoint

Weasipoint Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Aug 8, 2019
    Hi all!
    Just got a ZT0456 as a gift and had a question about the blade. I've only used it to cut open one box, and it looks like that scratched the blade? Ive tried to remove the lines but they are deep. Is it possible to scratch metal that good with only cardboard? Ive beaten up some of my other zt's and they still look like almost new. Overall this knife is amazing and quickly becoming a main rotation carry, just seemed odd that something so light could actually damage it
    Thank you all in advance for any ideas and hope everyone has great and safe holidays!
    [​IMG]

2. Hackenslash

Hackenslash Don't feed the Trolls Platinum Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Was the knife new when you got it?
    Is there a chance the scratch was there before?
    Cardboard shouldn’t be able to do that to hardened steel.
    Either way, the 0456 is a great knife and that scratch won’t affect its function.
    Enjoy!

Weasipoint likes this.
  3. soc_monki

soc_monki Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 5, 2019
    Cardboard can have some nasty stuff in it, and some of it can easily scratch a blade. I have many blades with scratches from cardboard. Doesn't phase me, I just use them and welcome any wear they do get.

4. Weasipoint

Aug 8, 2019
    It was new when I got it and perfect out of the box, I went through it the day it came in. Doesnt turn me off from the knife, still love it, just didn't know if it was possible to scratch like that

5. BigKurtHaze

BigKurtHaze

Aug 2, 2015
    Hard to tell from the pic, but it almost looks like tape residue that would wipe off with rubbing alcohol?

6. TROB

TROB

Sep 15, 2016
    You used it to cut open a box.....like you cut packing tape with it?
    It looks like tape residue to me. And it looks like there’s even a little bit of residue hanging off the edge that continues along the same line as the ‘scratch’. Did you try hitting it with goof off or acetone?

https://imgur.com/a/gT8RiA4

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
    Weasipoint likes this.
  7. SpyderPhreak

SpyderPhreak Rocketman for hire Platinum Member

Apr 13, 2004
    Tape residue. Acetone.

8. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    I would agree it looks like something that should come off with rubbing alcohol.

000Robert and Weasipoint like this.
  9. Basp2005

Basp2005

Dec 6, 2015
    Have you tried rubbing alcohol yet?

Weasipoint and BigKurtHaze like this.
  10. Weasipoint

Aug 8, 2019
    I have not tried any alcohol wipes yet, I'm out right now but will get some tomorrow and try that, hopefully thats it. Yep just cut a box open that had packing tape. Appreciate everyone responding, will let you know if the alcohol works

11. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    Id guess you hit a staple in the cardboard. I've done this on boxes i was breaking down that did not appear to have staples in them.

The_Knife_Man and Alberta Ed like this.
  12. Gary W. Graley

Gary W. Graley “Imagination is more important than knowledge" Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 2, 1999
    Or some WD40 will remove tape residue as well
    Nice knife btw
    G2

Weasipoint likes this.
  13. MolokaiRider

MolokaiRider Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 13, 2017
    I agree, there even appears to have some residue on the edge.

Weasipoint likes this.
  14. CWL

CWL

Sep 15, 2002
    Looks like tape residue to me too, however, if they turn out to be scratches, it was probably caused by silica embedded in the cardboard.

soc_monki likes this.
  15. skyhorse

skyhorse Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 30, 2010
    That looks tape goop, happens all the time when opening packages. This is edge damage from a combination of too low edge geometry and heavy cardboard. It sharpened right out and all is good. :)
    [​IMG]

16. Weasipoint

Aug 8, 2019
    Thank you all for the advice! Alcohol wipe and a little finger nail and came right off. When I originally tried to wipe it off with a little water it didn't do anything so was thinking they were deeper and cuts, glad its not the case!
    [​IMG]

17. BillZee

BillZee

Apr 30, 2020
    I'm confused.....if you buy a knife to use........how can you expect it to remain in new, never used condition?

18. Alberta Ed

Alberta Ed

Jun 29, 1999
    That's a beautiful knife. All my knives are users, and each cosmetic scratch or blemish just adds to their character.

Weasipoint likes this.
  19. Dallas T

Dallas T Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Leave
    Leave cardboard for razors my opinion, cardboard is vey abrasive.

Weasipoint likes this.
  20. Weasipoint

Aug 8, 2019
    Oh no I don't except it to stay in perfect condition, i was just curious how a metal so strong had seemed to be scratched that easily. I carry and use all my knives and they show it, but this was unexpected and I was wondering about it

The_Knife_Man likes this.