Review Is this Cold Steel SRK Carbon V authentic ??

http://s171.photobucket.com/user/cowhorse01/media/srk1.jpg.html

http://s171.photobucket.com/user/cowhorse01/media/srk.jpg.html

hope you can open the pictures links, I need to know if this is a authentic, I read the tang stamp and it does not say USA but also read production for a while on the older model SRK's was shifted overseas. Anyway any imput would be appreciated. Look at the tang stamp.
Thanks
Cary
ok , just found the wording made in the usa down deep almost covered up by the handle so guess were good

Yes that is authentic. The original version had all the markings on one side of the blade, and the bottom line was often partially covered by the handle. After that the "SRK" was on one side by itself, and the other side had 3 lines in much larger print: COLD STEEL, CARBON V, MADE IN USA

P1030862.jpg

This is what my old Recon Tanto looked like , from the early 80's .

Mine came with that sheath when I bought it in the early 90's, I hated that sheath. IIRC it felt flimsy and the keeper strap would pop off the finger guard allowing the knife to fall out.

My SRK cordura(?) sheath has snaps that are pretty tight. Maybe too tight for my liking. The old carbon-V Master Hunter I had also had the same cordura sheath but smaller and that too had snaps that were very tight. So I think it varies. Falling out has never been an issue for me. I sort of like those sheaths. They are indeed "flimsy" compared to leather or kydex types but they are amazing light in weight which is a benefit if actually carrying around in the woods all day. That the now discontinued Sanmai Recon Scout, and the Sanmai TM still in production use that same cordura sheath is interesting.

My SRK cordura(?) sheath has snaps that are pretty tight. Maybe too tight for my liking. The old carbon-V Master Hunter I had also had the same cordura sheath but smaller and that too had snaps that were very tight. So I think it varies. Falling out has never been an issue for me. I sort of like those sheaths. They are indeed "flimsy" compared to leather or kydex types but they are amazing light in weight which is a benefit if actually carrying around in the woods all day. That the now discontinued Sanmai Recon Scout, and the Sanmai TM still in production use that same cordura sheath is interesting.

And they do not dull the blade.

I ended up making a leather high ride sheath. It wasn't that the snaps were loose, it was that the strap was a little too long and could be slipped over the finger guard pretty easily. I still have it somewhere I think...

At least they were light though (as you pointed out).

Back