1. Week 51 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C244GP Native Chief
    Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco C244GP Native Chief G10 + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships! Be sure to read the rules before entering!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Dec 21 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Week 50 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Kizer C01C Sheepdog Ki4488A & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, Cold Steel Stickers & Boker Tree Brand Hat , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Is this Gocomma a Knockoff?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Cosmodragoon, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Cosmodragoon

Cosmodragoon

Jan 1, 2019
    Hello, knife friends. I was over a Budget Light Forums discussing knives with my flashlight friends. This "gocomma" knife is getting a solid review from someone over there. Call me crazy, but I somehow doubt that this is going to be real or properly heat-treated D2 for the price. My question to you is whether this is a knock-off of an existing design.

Now, remember that sites like aliexpress and gearbest evoke very different emotions between our two communities. Companies like Sofirn and Jaxman have official stores there and they maintain a pretty good relationship with the gear community. In fact, such sites have been the place to go for lots of sprint-runs inspired by the forums.

If anyone has anything specific to share about this particular product, I'd be glad to share it over there.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2019
  2. JupiterPaladin

JupiterPaladin Gold Member Gold Member

May 4, 2016
    First thing, no links allowed to non-supporting vendors.
    Second, Gocomma is a 3rd party re-brander. They buy a model and add their own name to it.
    Third, that is 3cr13mov intentionally marked D2 to get sales. Many items on GB are similarly dishonest. Not all, but a lot.

danbot likes this.
  3. dirc

dirc

Jan 31, 2018
    that is unreal - $10 for a d2 folder? ... even if it is the chinese variant of d2 with only 0.2% vanadium
    http://www.zknives.com/knives/steels/EST/ytl122.shtml

it still would be really interesting if they even bother to temper the steel or if they just do some kind of mass slow cool / non-temper process (which seems to be one of the ways the corner cutters cut costs...)

4. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    I'd suggest avoiding aliexpress, dhgate, gearbest etc for knives. Stay far away from these no name brand knives too. They don't care about nothin but getting your money.

Flashlights are a different story. But I'm not gonna go there rn.

danbot likes this.
  5. Cosmodragoon

Cosmodragoon

Jan 1, 2019
    Sorry about that. The rule obviously exists to help out supporting vendors. I hadn't considered that posting it here in this context would drive any business their way but who knows? :eek: Anyway, I'm talking about the "Gocomma Quick Open Folding Knife".

Based on what you're saying here, Gocomma is sort of like Eagengrow. How did you know it is 3Cr13Mov? Do you have any links or resources on this I could share over on the other forum? Last year, I stumbled into some bad knife buys on a similar site where I had previously enjoyed honest transactions with real companies making quality flashlights. I want to help other people in the flashlight and gear communities to not make the same mistake.

6. Fanglekai

Fanglekai

Jan 7, 2007
    That site sells counterfeits. Any company willing to counterfeit isn't going to be honest about materials or provide quality.

palonej, marcinek, danbot and 2 others like this.
  7. dirc

dirc

Jan 31, 2018
    Cosmo, just to re-iterate this - I was browsing gearbest and found a knife for <$18 - clearly a ZT 0562 knockoff (the pictures were very clear on this) - but text listed with 9cr13 in the description, but the picture show's elmax on the blade... and kai usa just like the real thing!

also found what looked like a knock off of the medford midi

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    Mo2 and Cosmodragoon like this.
  8. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    upload_2019-4-16_15-49-13.png

It may or may not be a direct copy of another design. I don't recognize it, but I don't stay up to date on all the designs.

However, the description of G10 and D2 coupled with a price of $10 with free shipping from China suggests to me the aphorism:
    "If the deal is too good to be true, it probably is."

Most knife knuts are little interested in cheap junk. Just sayin'.

115Italian and Mo2 like this.
  9. JupiterPaladin

JupiterPaladin Gold Member Gold Member

May 4, 2016
    I've done a lot of research on the whole counterfeit topic, clones, knock-offs, etc. I've even looked at the steel testing being done on this stuff.
    Gocomma is a rebrander. If they use an existing knife they leave the original mark and add their own. They rebranded a Sanrenmu Land 910, and it is clearly marked with both names. When no other name is visible, it's safe to assume it is an "unbranded" knife, commonly pumped out in mass with the cheapest materials possible. These unknowns have no reputation to uphold, nor any reason to care about much of anything. Printing a D2 on the blade will get more sales even out of curiosity do they win.
    If it's too good to be true, it is. D2 under $30 should raise an eyebrow.

10. Cosmodragoon

Cosmodragoon

Jan 1, 2019
    Thanks for the help. I know that sites like Gearbest and aliexpress are full of fake and counterfeit knives. However, they also host legit stores for some quality flashlight manufacturers. Some of those flashlight manufacturers have good relationships with the gear community on places like Budget Light Forum and do special sprint runs through those sites.

So sometimes, people who are into flashlights get looking around those sites and find what they think are amazing deals on knives. They buy with confidence based on their positive experiences with those flashlight companies. They get ripped off and in some cases, never know any better. Meanwhile, it puts money in the pockets of bad businesses.

So when I see people over there getting all excited about a particular knife on one of those sites, simply trashing the site is often ineffective. Even pointing out the absurdity of the low cost might not make sense to somebody who doesn't know about knives or materials. That's why I was looking for something specific. Sadly, a lot of these companies are "fly by night" and there isn't much to cite.

Just looking to do a little community service.

11. Hackenslash

Hackenslash Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 25, 2014
    First, let’s stop naming sites by name as if to innocently direct traffic to them. We can refer to them as “online clone sites” in future discussions. Let’s not seek to help the flashlight crowd (of which I am one) at the expense of the knife crowd.

Not calling you out but I think a true sense of concern might be loath to direct traffic to an “online clone site”

So far, your spelling has been perfect.

115Italian likes this.
  12. Cosmodragoon

Cosmodragoon

Jan 1, 2019
    Thanks for the compliment on my spelling. Between that and some of the other wording here, I have to ask. Has there been a problem with foreign agents joining this forum to promote shady products?

Are we really worried that mentioning a site by name, much less in a largely negative context, would steer commerce there and away from the legitimate knife community?

Let's also not take my defense of a few good actors on "those sites" the wrong way. If I'm not mistaken, "those sites" are really just large and poorly regulated global commerce sites. The bad actors that take advantage of them to sell shady products are just that, bad. I've actually reported a few counterfeits on one of "those sites" and the listings were promptly taken down. I've personally benefited from "those sites" in being able to shop directly from Convoy, Jaxman, and Sofirn. As I said, "those sites" have helped to enable a good relationship between those good actors and the flashlight community. Does that necessarily have to be viewed in tandem with the harm done by bad actors selling fake or counterfeit knives in the same marketplace?

Look, all I wanted was some more concrete dirt on a probable fraud to share across the gear divide.

13. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    1) Yes. Many. It makes the membership wary.
    2) We consider it rude to the paid dealer members who pay a large portion of the costs of keeping this site open.

palonej, Mo2, JupiterPaladin and 3 others like this.
  14. Cosmodragoon

Cosmodragoon

Jan 1, 2019
    I hadn't realized. That's awful. I am still new here. I've belonged to lots of forums over the years, going back to when I connected to a BBS at 14400 bps. This place sure has the steepest learning curve I've encountered. I'm sorry for breaking the rules. I was trying to do a good thing here. I guess I'll take some time to get a handle on all the rules here before I post anything else.

15. teacher

teacher Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 11, 2001
    I'm the one from BLF that Cosmodragoon is referring to. I bought two GoComma knives for the sole purpose of seeing how bad they really were. Problem is they turned out not to be bad.

I can't say yet if they are real D2 or not. But so far I have cut about 300 feet of various thicknesses of cardboard, some rope, hacked on a pine 2x4, hacked on a dry hickory stick, & done some whittling. Both blades are still hair popping sharp.

Personally.... I am somewhat shocked & amazed. But it is what it is. The fit n' finish is equal to my much loved Benchmades & better than a few of them... It hurts to say that.... but again, it is what it is.

When I have time I gonna take them over to my buddy Robert Dark, a respected member here; and see what he thinks. Until then.... I am just gonna keep trying to see what it takes to dull them. ;)

Oh yeah, and as far as I can tell these are not copies or knockoffs of anything. Anything I am familiar with anyway.

For me buying a downright fake or an exact copy of anything is off limits. I do not & will not do it.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  16. Hackenslash

Hackenslash Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Hey @Cosmodragoon and @teacher, I feel that I started this poop storm. First off, I’m just a random dude on these fora and don’t speak for anyone besides myself. I’m also probably a little over-protective of the knife hobby and this community.

I, speaking for myself, am glad you’ve made us aware of this knife. I hope to follow up on it and do some formal testing. I’m no expert, but I try to watch for new knife brands. I don’t recognize the knife in question as a clone, although it’s not unique and highly derivative.

I think the big difference between flashlights and knives boils down to designer and power source. Flashlights don’t typically have named designers, whereas that’s a significant hallmark of knives. Also, flashlights are pointless without the inclusion of open source batteries. That reality only exists among box cutters in the knife world. Those differences are huge and although they may share the same pocket, makes knives and flashlights quite different.

Thanks for sharing your info with us, and please understand our shared paranoia.

Now, if either of you can direct me toward an awesome, tail-clicky, inexpensive AAA clip light option, I’d be much indebted.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    JupiterPaladin likes this.
  17. teacher

teacher Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 11, 2001
    @ Hackenslash Hey.. I don't see where you started anything my friend.
    Cosmodragoon had just referred to this thread over on BLF so I thought I'd pop in to see what was happening. It seems Cosmo left out the parts about the edge retention these knives have demonstrated so far, so I just decided to post myself. :)
    At this point, no one is more surprised/shocked than me about these two knives.

I have been away from BF for quite a while, signing in anyway (I have viewed as a guest); because I was spending waaaay to much on knives. I figured if I did not sign in I couldn't/wouldn't buy. :D
    But.... lately I have spent waaay to much on flashlights .
    Sooo, if I am gonna spend it anyway, I might as well be able to cut something with what I get.

Anyway.... good to be back & signed in. ;)