Is this possible?

I have a black coated paramillie. I was looking at the blade in the sunlight today and noticed what almost looked like rust spots. The coatins has not worn off in this spot yet to where you can see any steel. It is still completely black, but it has worn down slightly through use. I would take a pic, but you probably would not be able to tell. I washed the blade in hot water, dish detergent and a dish sponge and it still seems to be there. The edge is completely fine and I have never noticed rust on it. I have occasionally oiled the knife, but there have been a few times where I have sliced up limes and only wiped it down. But again, the edge is exposed and has no spots.

I am really not worried about it at all. But I was wondering if it is possible for the blade to get rust spots even if the coating is still on. It is still all black but this part of the blade is only slightly more worn than the spine area, which has seen less use.

Does anybody have any ideas or experiences with this? Also, if these are rust spots, how would I go about removing it? I know I could use scotchbrite, but that would probably take the coating off and make it look like crap. Any suggestions?

Fred Sanford

Gold Member
I'm betting it's not rust. I have had about 10 Para's. About 6 of them had/have black blades. Sometimes when you wash the blades off in hot water they get a grayish brown look to them after they dry. It's just the weird dry look of the coating in my opinion. I mean I guess it could be rust but I doubt it. How many "spots" are there and how big are they etc. Can you take a picture up close with your camera and turn on the "macro" setting?

I wouldn't worry about it. That black coating is strong as heck and it is hard to get to come off with normal cutting and wear.

zenheretic

Gold Member
It is possible the acid in the lime is reacting with whatever materials were caught in the worn spot on the black coating...just a guess.

Troubleshooting the spot
1 try a weak solvent like WD-40 and see if that does anything
2 try a modern gun solvent like CLP (clean lube protect)
3 don't worry about it, it is a user; if it was rust you would be sure

(Oh and David knows his Paras ;))

bushtucker

BANNED
Could be rust. I have knives from Cold Steel that are black coated and rust just appeared on the black surface. I removed it with fine steel wool and coated the metal with heavy viscosity silicone oil (30,000 weight), and it has not returned.

ascc2391.jpg

It is possible the acid in the lime is reacting with whatever materials were caught in the worn spot on the black coating...just a guess.

(Oh and David knows his Paras ;))

I think this is what happened. Definately no big deal. I was having a few beers with friends yesterday and decided to cut up some empty cans. I went to clean it up today, used a little scotchbrite, and realized that the coating can start to wear down without you really realizing it. The blade is a lighter black now, but still black, and in the light you can start to see the steel underneath.

I really like the looks of it now. It is a user so I really dont care how beat up and worn it looks. Adds character. Thanks for the tips guys.