Is this rust on this sog recon government?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I purchased this knife recently from a vendor I'll leave unnamed for now. I'm not experienced with bluing so I don't know if the brown lines mixed in with the bluing is normal or if the brown is in fact rust. I do know the three circular spots are definitely rust though. Can anyone tell me if the brown is normal or not?

On a side note, I've asked the vendor for a discount on the knife due to the fact that the rust spots were not in the product description whatsoever. But that request is not going so well at the moment.

Thanks for the imgur suggestion!

Last edited:
Yeah that looks like rust. You might get a better shot if you pulled back a bit and got some natural light on it. Also for pics posted here it's better if you upload them Imgur and then you can post the code here. Lots of folks will no follow a FB link.

Dang. Okay. Should I ask for a refund or a discount? What do you all think? Because the rust was never mentioned in the websites' product description.
Rust is easy to clean off. A bit of oil and a a scrub and you're good. That looks like a pretty rare knife so it's on you to give it back or negotiate a new price.

As that appears to be a carbon steel knife I would leave some oil on it and not store it in the sheath.

Rust is easy to clean off. A bit of oil and a a scrub and you're good. That looks like a pretty rare knife so it's on you to give it back or negotiate a new price.

As that appears to be a carbon steel knife I would leave some oil on it and not store it in the sheath.
Thank you for your assistance! I will continue to ask for a discount.

That's rust for sure. It can be removed but I don't think you should accept it as-is.
Do you have any photos of the entire knife?

That's rust for sure. It can be removed but I don't think you should accept it as-is.
Do you have any photos of the entire knife?
Thank you! And as for the photos. I just took some full length ones. I actually found another rust spot on the spine. Dratz. Thank you for the advice, currently the vendor is not responding to me and has become very rude with me. He told me I only had up until yesterday to resolve this situation. His return policy is 30 days from the date of purchase. I purchased this knife on December 1 2023 so I still have a good ten days to go. But yet he stated yesterday was the last day I could do anything about this situation. I will never do business with them again.

Thank you! And as for the photos. I just took some full length ones. I actually found another rust spot on the spine. Dratz. Thank you for the advice, currently the vendor is not responding to me and has become very rude with me. He told me I only had up until yesterday to resolve this situation. His return policy is 30 days from the date of purchase. I purchased this knife on December 1 2023 so I still have a good ten days to go. But yet he stated yesterday was the last day I could do anything about this situation. I will never do business with them again.

Thanks. The knife looks legit. Was this purchased through ebay?

I am the seller of the SOG Knife. I have a 100% return policy, if you are not satisfied, return for a full refund and told him numerous times I would refund the money but I do not do discounts. I have 1100 transaction, 100% satisfaction but I do not allow a customer to buy a knife at the stated price and than beat me up to get a discount. Only 2 people have ever tried to do that and I refuse. I am not debating if it is rust or not, but if he is unhappy he can use the pre-paid shipping label I sent him for a refund. This is one of those customers you do not want to sell to. They buy an expensive knife and try to get it cheaper. You judge if I am at fault. I would list my website where he bought it, but I am not allowed to. I have noting to hide after 14 years Here is the listing photo of the tip of the blade. The he shows did not show up on the my photos when I sent the knife. I am not debating rust, I gladly give refunds, not discounts after the sale. This is not the forum to discuss personal issues, but when someone goes after a member, they should hear both sides and draw their own conclusion. My apology to the forum.

Attachments

• great point.JPG
    great point.JPG
    823.6 KB · Views: 7
  • off logo side blade close up.JPG
    off logo side blade close up.JPG
    792.1 KB · Views: 7
  • good also.JPG
    good also.JPG
    882.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited by a moderator:
Locked. This matter needs to be handled privately as the dispute cannot be settled here and each party has had their say. If there is further information that is relevant to the community, take it to "Feedback: Good, Bad & Ugly"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back