1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Is this Tinder Fungus?

Discussion in 'Wilderness & Survival Skills' started by Quirt, May 25, 2015.

1. Quirt

Quirt

Oct 10, 2005
    Okay so I've been told in the Pacific NorthWet we do not have a Fomes fomentarius aka Tinder Fungus. So I ran across this creature in my outings yesterday. It looks similar to Tinder Fungus and am curious if someone here can confirm or deny this is the real deal. I do not want to destroy it on a whim it may not work.

Please advise. Thanks. ~Q

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  2. Woods Walker

Woods Walker

Jun 3, 2010
    That could be a hoof fungus which does work as a coal extender and other firecraft applications. Or not as your AO is so far from mine.

3. tonym

tonym

Mar 18, 2008
    True Tinder fungus can be found on living Birch trees. It is Black in color or dark dark brown. False Tinder fungus aka Horse hoof fungus like Woods Walker mentions grows on dead trees, usually Birch. I have dried out False Tinder fungus and have gotten it to take a spark from flint and steel. I'm not familiar with your area, but your picture does look like False Tinder Fungus.

4. druid189

druid189

Apr 27, 2008
    yes. It's either a young spread of saddle fungus or hoof as already said.

And yes, pop it off the tree and throw it in your tinder bundle. It will hold a spark/ember for hours and actually allow you to "move" fire from one location to another.

The "tinder fungus" that Tony talks about look like black balls growing on the white Birch. They are often called "Cramp Ball" fungus. Here's a video...

[video=youtube;rjFrGzUYMWU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjFrGzUYMWU[/video]

This kid is funny as Hell:

[video=youtube;DUGEkIRUI4Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUGEkIRUI4Y[/video]

5. mewolf1

mewolf1 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Cramp Balls work, but this is true Tinder Fungus. Chaga.

[​IMG]

6. druid189

druid189

Apr 27, 2008
    how freaking big IS that piece? It looks like the size of my head!

7. Rick Marchand

Rick Marchand Donkey on the Edge Moderator

Jan 6, 2005
    Tonym has it right. That is False Tinder Fungus or horse hoof(at least it looks like it... seems kinda gooey in the pic). The True Tinder Fungus or Chaga is what Mewolf1 posted

8. pitdog

pitdog

Apr 13, 2007
    Last edited: May 30, 2015
  9. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    This is one place where a picture is worth a thousand words. Great shot.