Isn't it time for a 700 thread?

I recovered a few Bucks for some friends with some walnut that came from their father.

O8ZjkN6.jpg

loimuBT.jpg

Larry did a fantastic article on these 700 series back in June 2003 newsletter....not sure if I can share it here or not. I'll let mod determine that. good reason to join bcci though. I read through it last night.

highlights were Buck made them to replace the 300 series and to have "heavier bolsters and beefier backsprings." also designed as "upgraded replacements for the contracted out 300 series."

link to article......

https://buckcollectorsclub.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/2003-JUN.pdf

Last edited:
jbmonk, good, I read that article. Early in this models discussion a southwest theme was considered. i.e. Amigo, Comprade, ect.. Then a equine theme was settled on. These are very fine knives. Dressy and strong. If you find one, don't pass on it. As you'll not get another. Dm

Larry did a fantastic article on these 700 series back in June 2003 newsletter....not sure if I can share it here or not. I'll let mod determine that. good reason to join bcci though. I read through it last night.

highlights were Buck made them to replace the 300 series and to have "heavier bolsters and beefier backsprings." also designed as "upgraded replacements for the contracted out 300 series."

link to article......

https://buckcollectorsclub.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/2003-JUN.pdf

Thank you for posting that link! That was quite an interesting read regarding these 700s. It’s awesome that the Aurum series is mentioned too. That’s the most info I’ve ever had on the knife I posted. Do you think any will ever be made again?

Thank you for posting that link! That was quite an interesting read regarding these 700s. It’s awesome that the Aurum series is mentioned too. That’s the most info I’ve ever had on the knife I posted. Do you think any will ever be made again?

yes Sir.

to answer your question I dont know doubt it, but as David said earlier....." If you find one, don't pass on it. As you'll not get another. Dm"

In addition to the 705 I posted early in this thread...the 709(top) was a gift from in-laws in the early eighties, not sure of exact date. The 703 were ones I bought. I carried and used the 709 quite a bit, especially when I started carving...it wasn't long before I purchased a Warren carving set. The 709 didn't work well for extended carving time.
qoyV9I7.jpg

I think this thread deserves a bump, because we gotta keep the 700 series on people's minds.
But I also have a question.

It is known that Buck originally had plans to use sandvik steel on the 700 series, but nobody can say if that actually happened.

To any experienced sharpeners with an early script 700 series would you say it sharpens like 440c or like something else ?
20220707_115422.jpg
I have no experience with 440c but I stropped my new 704 here a few times and I imagine 440c being harder than this, it seems harder than 420hc or 425m for sure just not drastically.

Back