Issue with Gerber Impromptu Pen

Nephron44

Gold Member
Hello everyone!

I have two Gerber Impromptu pens, and I absolutely LOVE the design. Of all the edc/tactical pens that I have, the Gerber is by far my favorite design.

That said, I rarely carry it because it has one major issue. Whenever I click it a few times in a row, or click it with force (not tremendous force, but not super gentle), the click mechanism gets stuck.

I took the click mechanism off of the pen and cleaned the grease off as well as some red gunk that was hardened in the grooves of the click mechanism. I then applied Benchmade Blue Lube to the moving parts and worked it around. I put the pen back together, and what do you know? Same issue!

Has anyone had a similar experience? Does anyone have any solutions apart from sending it to Gerber? It happens on both of my pens, so I have a hard time believing it is a defective pen...I'm convinced it is a design flaw.

I appreciate any assistance!

Thanks!

Are there any burs or flashing on the parts that you could trim off ?

PS: maybe some one tried the glass breaker and bent the tip. Off center like that it looks like the glass breaker is maybe a one time emergency use only.

Are there any burs or flashing on the parts that you could trim off ?

PS: maybe some one tried the glass breaker and bent the tip. Off center like that it looks like the glass breaker is maybe a one time emergency use only.

Everything looked smooth that I can tell. I bought both pens new from an authorized dealer (each one from a different dealer), and I haven't tried to use the glass breaker at all. I guess someone could have used it and returned it as new, but it would be odd for that to happen to two pens from two different dealers, and both looked untouched when I got them.

Wow.
Well I will follow this thread; interesting pen sorry it is frustrating.

PS: here's a thought : have you checked for a rebuild / vid from Nick Shabazz ? He likes pens too.

Back