Issues with blade staining on first use

Firsf I would like to say thanks in advance for the help. This is my first post. I've been reading and watching for a while.

Second. I am sure that there is a thread somewhere regarding this issue, but I can't seem to find it. If anyone has one saved i would appreciate the link.

I've only made a few knives so far but my last attempt was to make a hamon on 1084 (what I had). Not so much for the look but the added benefits of a tough spine/ good edge resistance. This was to be on a camp knife. Some small machete work but overall useful knife.

I was actually able to get a hamon on the first attempt. I prayed a lot before hand!

I've definitely learned a lot from my mistakes. What I am having a hard time figureing out is why my blades are staining blue or brown on the first use. I used this 1084 knife to slice a deer roast last night and the blade came out with all kinds of blueing (spelling?). Even after scrubbing it twice it still comes back after it dries.

I am heat treating in a hard wood charcole fire and quenching in canola oil the. Temper and sand It to 2000 grit. Then I had several rounds of hot vinegar to bring the hamon out and sprayed with ammonia and then bakin soda (just to be thorough). Then polish with meguiars car polish.

Any suggestions to what I need to do?

Firsf I would like to say thanks in advance for the help. This is my first post. I've been reading and watching for a while.

Second. I am sure that there is a thread somewhere regarding this issue, but I can't seem to find it. If anyone has one saved i would appreciate the link.

I've only made a few knives so far but my last attempt was to make a hamon on 1084 (what I had). Not so much for the look but the added benefits of a tough spine/ good edge resistance. This was to be on a camp knife. Some small machete work but overall useful knife.

I was actually able to get a hamon on the first attempt. I prayed a lot before hand!

I've definitely learned a lot from my mistakes. What I am having a hard time figureing out is why my blades are staining blue or brown on the first use. I used this 1084 knife to slice a deer roast last night and the blade came out with all kinds of blueing (spelling?). Even after scrubbing it twice it still comes back after it dries.

I am heat treating in a hard wood charcole fire and quenching in canola oil the. Temper and sand It to 2000 grit. Then I had several rounds of hot vinegar to bring the hamon out and sprayed with ammonia and then bakin soda (just to be thorough). Then polish with meguiars car polish.

Any suggestions to what I need to do?

Thats just the nature of the beast! Its a simple high carbon steel, not stainless, so it will develop a patina with normal use. To avoid that you will need to keep the blade clean and oiled after every use. I personally like a nice patina on HC steel blades and many others do as well.

I would suggest you get a proper quenching oil though. Canola oil really isn't ideal.

I'm all for a patina on it. Just wasn't expecting it to start so fast. What would be a good quenching oil to start with that won't cost me my firstborn?

Thanks again for responding danbot.

I'm all for a patina on it. Just wasn't expecting it to start so fast. What would be a good quenching oil to start with that won't cost me my firstborn?

Thanks again for responding danbot.

Well, if money is the issue then I guess Canola is okay as long as its working for you.

ETA: If you check out the knifemaker forums here you will find lots of good information on heat treating.

Will do. Thanks. Also once I get a chance to order better quenchant. Is parks 50 the place to start? I hear a lot of people mention it's liquid gold.

Which steels are good to quench in it?

I'm no expert on the subject, but I know a thing or two.;)
They don't sell Parks 50 in Canada as far as I know, so I've never played with it. We use Chevron quenching oil at work and it's a "fast" oil. Good for 1075, 1080, 1095, W2 etc. Basically simple carbon steels.

Back