It followed me home (Part 2)

Y'know Peg, if it's hay knives and sickles you're lookin' for you should come up north sometime. I walk by those all the time up here.

Y'know Peg, if it's hay knives and sickles you're lookin' for you should come up north sometime. I walk by those all the time up here.
I get a kick out seeing those old serrated hay knives. I don't imagine they command serious coins ('course I could be wrong!) and heaven knows what you'd do with one nowadays aside from hang it on a wall in the den or at a roadhouse restaurant. Square-peg you must be seeking to expand your garage or living space in order to keep up with all this stuff.

I picked up this hay knife for $5. It is in sad shape.

iceaxepickaroonsadzesBarkies010.jpg

I got this one for $5 or $10 bucks. It is a hay knife, but was used in a icehouse to separate ice blocks. I got it from the same old timer with the ice axe and the two ice block tongs.

iceaxepickaroonsadzesBarkies023.jpg

Hay knives are still used to cut off chunks of hay from rectangle bails and the round bails for feed.

Tom

Your 'sad shape' version does go to show that inferior (or what would have been touted as budget brand) stuff did exist eons ago and that folks that bought into them couldn't be bothered even to buy or install spare blades. What goes around comes around.
Nice of you to show us (me) this though.
What I really do appreciate about Americans is that cutting corners, in order to make something equally good or better, in order to make things simpler or more affordable, has been the universal Hallmark of USA ingenuity. You guys really take the cake!
A prominent northern fellow (John Robert Columbo, way back in 1968) once said of us Canucks:
"Canada could have had British form of government, French culture and Yankee ingenuity but instead got French government, British knowhow and American culture".

Your 'sad shape' version does go to show that inferior (or what would have been touted as budget brand) stuff did exist eons ago and that folks that bought into them couldn't be bothered even to buy or install spare blades. What goes around comes around.
Nice of you to show us (me) this though.
What I really do appreciate about Americans is that cutting corners, in order to make something equally good or better, in order to make things simpler or more affordable, has been the universal Hallmark of USA ingenuity. You guys really take the cake!
A prominent northern fellow (John Robert Columbo, way back in 1968) once said of us Canucks:
"Canada could have had British form of government, French culture and Yankee ingenuity but instead got French government, British knowhow and American culture".

It could be all that dribble or it may have just been poorly stored by the previous owner.

Tom

300six, you (with some help) ruined the first 'followed me home' thread it would be nice if you didn't do it with this one

I picked up this assortment at the weekend

300six, you (with some help) ruined the first 'followed me home' thread it would be nice if you didn't do it with this one
I picked up this assortment at the weekend
No sir. Ya did good and I thank you for posting your haul. There is some novel stuff in there plus you now have a lifetime supply of pocket knives! By the way who made the axe head?

That type of axe was made in England (perhaps by Elwell?) Check out Timeless Tools (a UK site). They have them up to 7 pounds.

Great site! They have a photo list of stamps and logos too. I also saw several examples of the odd HBish shaped axe I found last week described as a "miners axe"

I'm very pleased with that one its a 'Criterion' made by Brades with 353 ? ? ? on the side, weighs 5lbs, 9.5'' long with a 5'' cutting edge
I can't find anything else about it
(Brades made a lot of farm and gardening tools, good steel)

Do you Guys think its a felling Axe from the size and shape?

I think I've become a bit of a collector :rolleyes:

With a weight of 5 Lbs and a 5 inch bit, I sure would consider it to be a felling axe.

Tom

You've got a handful of nice scores there, like everyone said that polled ax head is a real looker, I'd love to own it. But the old aircraft crash axe caught my eye as well and that one sickle looks like it is one piece of metal, blade and handle?... stout set of pruning shears too. Good haul.

Hello Sparky415...I have a 2 pound Brades in my collection. It is stamped-

Brades Co.
Criterion

A totally different pattern to yours. Unable to attach pics for some unknown reason.

regards...Frank

Today's junk store fine, a Plumb carpenter's hatchet. Got her soaking in vinegar right now, and I'll have to get a handle for her. Been wanting something like this for my toolbox.

gyZLrNA.jpg

With a weight of 5 Lbs and a 5 inch bit, I sure would consider it to be a felling axe.

Tom

That is what I thought,
I've only been in to Axes for the last four years so I try very hard to listen when someone is telling something about them
The Guy selling this one insisted it was a splitter I didn't agree so I wanted a second opinion

You've got a handful of nice scores there, like everyone said that polled ax head is a real looker, I'd love to own it. But the old aircraft crash axe caught my eye as well and that one sickle looks like it is one piece of metal, blade and handle?... stout set of pruning shears too. Good haul.

I was pleased with the RAF Escape Axe, not sure what I'm doing with that one yet
Sickle? (poor picture/lighting) We call those Slashers, used for clearing brambles, light brush etc
They also used to use those shears for sheep, I sometimes find them for a reasonable price

Hey Frank
They used to make a wide range of tools, the roofing hatchet in my picture was made by them, I also have a few smaller heads and an old Brades herb chopper

Last edited:
Picked up a lot of tools last night and this Collins homestead hatchet was a part of it. Original handle and in pretty good shape. w00t! The backsaw and hacksaw are both Disstons. A No 4 backsaw from the 40's I think and I think the hacksaw is about the same. Heavy beasts those are!

Screen Shot 2014-07-03 at 6.58.07 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2014-07-03 at 6.58.24 AM.jpg Screen Shot 2014-07-03 at 6.58.34 AM.jpg

14542054386_c03a766680.jpg
14585232763_1f2b0fcde9.jpg

IMG_0390_zpsbaa002bd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]This stash I found in an antique store. I was impressed.
IMG_0392_zps1e4b9b04.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back