It followed me home (Part 2)

YJ, and everybody else that has shown an interest in owning one of my axes, etc. I now find that my current situation only allows me to sell using a consignment seller of some sort who will handle all the details for me. This will most likely be ebay, if I can find someone responsible and honest. I am sorry that I suggested I might be able to do it myself directly to the crew on this site. As the saying goes "The best laid plans of mice and men" This may not happen in Jan. as I thought, but I will let you know as soon as I know. I have it all gathered together, now I just have to write the descriptions and find the consignment seller. There is, what I think, some choice tools in this batch--my Black Raven, a NOS Beatty broad axe head I found in a old hardware store 50 yrs ago, some of the axes featured in "An Ax To Grind" manual and video, etc. I still plan that each tool will come with a signed, first edition of "An Ax To Grind" Thanks for your interest.
Thank you for the update. I appreciate it. Due to my injury and subsequent lack of employment I won't be after a high dollar item. As much as I'd love to I know it'll be out of my reach. If it were in August it'd be different! I just simply want to have something of yours Bernie. I don't care if it's a worn out hatchet!! Haha. Or a pickaroon or pulp wood hook. Perhaps a signed copy of an axe to grind! So I'll keep my eyes open looking for when and where. Thanks very much!

This old sharpening stone followed me home. Gotta make a frame for it though.
Does anyone still use one? I plan to put a treadmill motor on it. They're pretty powerful and variable speed.
Cost was zero but getting it into the back of my truck was a bitch!
W41SlTg.jpg

S0ZHtMT.jpg

vRz8mT6.jpg

ygzOo29.jpg

It's a full 3" wide

i have one thats about 600 grit, works great for sharpening but not incredible for removal
I have a wheel just like that, same size with either similar or the same hardware.

Its heavy
I agree with both of you... Mines about 600 grit and its slow going for removal. And it's heavy! Haha. But it's an awful lot of fun to use...
20180714_141748.jpg

Been awhile since I posted some new finds. I've got a bunch of stuff I've just been busy now that I'm back to work!
Got some old catalogues! The Bigelow and Dowse catalogue I already shared but I'll throw a few pics of it in anyway.
Early 1900's B&D catalogue and a 1930 Brades book of color prints of their full line of tools at that time.

xdkm8Iq.jpg

2kZanRo.jpg

9jCirQh.jpg
ASOpJO7.jpg

Here's the axes from thr Brades book;
W3Or5QB.jpg
UI8et4i.jpg
nmjH7Vn.jpg

Another couple catalogues. The Trout hardware (Chicago) is from the early 30's. It has 25 pages of axes so I won't post all of those but here's some. And the 1927 Vaughn and Bushnell reprint is pretty fun to look at too.
5VptmkO.jpg

My Fayette R Plumb mast axe is identical(as in it falls in the parameters as advertised) to the one advertised. Even has some original gold bronzed finish left!
OyRnM8Q.jpg
MyTdWRR.jpg
VxQpPLw.jpg
JMcaYxd.jpg

My newest axe, while unmarked, is an American AX. I've never seen another company with these style bevels;
20200114_161037.jpg
I was excited to find a pitted one as I have a particular build in mind that involves a real pitted axe. Back to the book!
8k2R1AI.jpg
dgYnTD1.jpg

And a few from the V&B. My minty Vaughn claw hatchet isn't a super steel but it's super just the same.. ;)
JHAJlro.jpg

HbMrdJG.jpg

I always enjoy looking at pictures of axes in these old books so I figured I'd share some. Have a good one guys!

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing this,Josh,pretty dang impressive...Terrific drawings,from back before photographic images` in catalogs....
A couple questions-many of those Brades axes are shaded in such a way as to indicate fairly convex blades,i wonder if they already were(always?..at that time?).
Also,those Hubbard "Full Concave",do you think they were hollow-ground,or what do you think "concave bits" refers to?

Thanks for sharing this,Josh,pretty dang impressive...Terrific drawings,from back before photographic images` in catalogs....
A couple questions-many of those Brades axes are shaded in such a way as to indicate fairly convex blades,i wonder if they already were(always?..at that time?).
Also,those Hubbard "Full Concave",do you think they were hollow-ground,or what do you think "concave bits" refers to?
ultra-hubbard-lippincott-full-concave_1_0e9a90206d3a663c94cfc5d410681691.jpg

ultra-hubbard-lippincott-full-concave_1_0e9a90206d3a663c94cfc5d410681691.jpg

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ultra-hubbard-lippincott-full-concave-2004970577

Been awhile since I posted some new finds. I've got a bunch of stuff I've just been busy now that I'm back to work!
Got some old catalogues! The Bigelow and Dowse catalogue I already shared but I'll throw a few pics of it in anyway.
Early 1900's B&D catalogue and a 1930 Brades book of color prints of their full line of tools at that time.

xdkm8Iq.jpg

2kZanRo.jpg

9jCirQh.jpg
ASOpJO7.jpg

Here's the axes from thr Brades book;
W3Or5QB.jpg
UI8et4i.jpg
nmjH7Vn.jpg

Another couple catalogues. The Trout hardware (Chicago) is from the early 30's. It has 25 pages of axes so I won't post all of those but here's some. And the 1927 Vaughn and Bushnell reprint is pretty fun to look at too.
5VptmkO.jpg

My plumb mast axe is identical(as in it falls in the parameters as advertised) to the one advertised. Even has some original gold bronzed finish left!
OyRnM8Q.jpg
MyTdWRR.jpg
VxQpPLw.jpg
JMcaYxd.jpg

My newest axe, while unmarked, is an American AX. I've never seen another company with these style bevels;
View attachment 1266191
I was excited to find a pitted one as I have a particular build in mind that involves a real pitted axe. Back to the book!
8k2R1AI.jpg
dgYnTD1.jpg

And a few from the V&B. My minty Vaughn claw hatchet isn't a super steel but it's super just the same.. ;)
JHAJlro.jpg

HbMrdJG.jpg

I always enjoy looking at pictures of axes in these old books so I figured I'd share some. Have a good one guys!
Wow! That is some great stuff there, thank you for posting!

And so it actually appears....I'm sure it's not unprecedented,that other manufacturers played about with concave bevels...
I wonder if the sharpening of the edge still remains the same,making a recurve of sorts close to the edge.
(also wonder if they experimented with lowering the hardness of steel for to do that,opting for higher toughness).

And so it actually appears....I'm sure it's not unprecedented,that other manufacturers played about with concave bevels...
I wonder if the sharpening of the edge still remains the same,making a recurve of sorts close to the edge.
(also wonder if they experimented with lowering the hardness of steel for to do that,opting for higher toughness).
I've seen that before pretty often in old catalogues. They usually keep the concave area well away from the bit. But I've seen some where they brought the concave"ness" right up to the edge. I think I have a picture somewhere and I'll see if I can find it.
On a seperate note I really like the handle of the miners axe in the Brades book.
20200105_154440.jpg
That's a sharp looking rig right there! I tried to make something akin to that when making the helve for my mast axe.
1579219937467881724812941427828.jpg
That's part of the reason I find these old catalogues so fun and interesting. You can validate, or disprove, hunches and theories. I didn't know if the haft in the image I modeled my helve after was handmade or what! As it turns out yep they made 'em that way back in the day. I had never seen this etch before so I wanted to share a close up of it with you guys. Beautiful!
15792204358337833772191744714069.jpg
Man! What a nice etch!

But I've seen some where they brought the concave"ness" right up to the edge.
Thanks again,Josh,yes,that makes sense.On most hollow-ground tools the concavity is only there initially,after the grind.In subsequent sharpenings a flat is formed next to the edge,and i suppose then the edge can be further shaped as necessary et c.

On a seperate note I really like the handle of the miners axe in the Brades book.

Yes,it's an interesting rig.Reminds me of an experiments by 42 with a certain Rinaldi,a propos of coaxial balance...Yours looks good,a bit of a more open hang...
Brits sure did like an elongated blade...Some of their patterns can be fairly extreme even....

English factory axes.jpg English axe patterns.jpg English factory axes.jpg

This old sharpening stone followed me home. Gotta make a frame for it though.
Does anyone still use one? I plan to put a treadmill motor on it. They're pretty powerful and variable speed.
Cost was zero but getting it into the back of my truck was a bitch!
W41SlTg.jpg

S0ZHtMT.jpg

vRz8mT6.jpg

ygzOo29.jpg

It's a full 3" wide
Whoever owned that must’ve never heard “a rolling stone gathers no moss”

Thanks again,Josh,yes,that makes sense.On most hollow-ground tools the concavity is only there initially,after the grind.In subsequent sharpenings a flat is formed next to the edge,and i suppose then the edge can be further shaped as necessary et c.

Yes,it's an interesting rig.Reminds me of an experiments by 42 with a certain Rinaldi,a propos of coaxial balance...Yours looks good,a bit of a more open hang...
Brits sure did like an elongated blade...Some of their patterns can be fairly extreme even....

View attachment 1266525 View attachment 1266526 View attachment 1266525
I wonder under what circumstance the long feeling axe was developed? The reasoning behind it may be lost to time...

Yesterday's swap meet finds, not the best deals totaling $47 for the tools I bought but I'm happy with what I got.

The only thing here that didn't come from the swap meet was the Klein hacksaw.
I scored a really nice Starrett but took it and traded it to my grandmother for this one , it's kind of special to me as I logged a lot of hours behind this as a kid with my various projects.

The Vaughan 999 and Proto ball peen I cleaned up a bit as well as the Plumb hatchet head, everything else is pretty much as I found it.
The PEXTO pliers sure are nice.

I wonder under what circumstance the long felling axe was developed? The reasoning behind it may be lost to time...
Yes indeed,it is a good question...
I do know that they managed to deforest pretty much their entire island,and do so rather efficiently and in not that long a time.Mostly hardwoods,too,and of a Very serious size at that-those old-growth English oaks and elms and chestnuts...Those trees weren't small...
My own,totally uninformed guess would be some tricky way of felling by having to pocket out sections to retain control over the tree till the last moment...?...

Back