it has been long enough!

LaBella

←JerzeeDevil→
and I *still* love my Letherman Charge!

hows about youse people?

I had mine for a couple months now. It is an excellent multi-tool to have with you. The knives are still sharp as heck and I have not experienced any rust...yet.

I had mine for a couple months now. It is an excellent multi-tool to have with you. The knives are still sharp as heck and I have not experienced any rust...yet.

I wish I lived in HAwaii so I can test my LM's out.:grumpy:

I stick LM Waves in the pouches on fixed blade sheaths but carry a black or silver Charge XTi on me at all times. And now that I ditched my SAK so it wouldn't scratch up the bigger folders I've been carrying it comes in more handy than it used to.:thumbup: :thumbup:

oil

and I *still* love my Letherman Charge!

hows about youse people?
Hellz yeah!! :D

I love the way I can carry the tool with pocket clip, bit holder with extra driver bits, an AAA LED flashlight in one elastic side pocket and a mini Sharpie in the other, all in one package. Only problem is, it's kid of a big package! Since I have an office job, I haven't been packin' it every day lately, just on weekends mostly, when I have real work to do! ;)

Well... as posted elsewhere, my honeymoon with the Charge Ti was all too brief.

I really, really liked the one handed blade opening and the blades themselves. The saw was as good as a Sak's, better than on previous Leathermen, although those have been quite acceptable. The pocket clip carry was both comfortable and eliminated the need for a sheath, unless I wanted to pack some of the replacement bits, in which case it made a good package. Fit and finish were excellent and the tool felt solid, with strong true needle nose pliers. As I carried and used it, however, some deficiencies became apparent.

IMHO, there were too many compromises in the tool set design. It was hard or impossible to get a purchase on bottle caps unless I opened the handles so the bottom of the opener was unobstructed. On some jobs I found the screwdriver bits too stubby to reach countersunk screw heads. The scissors was smaller than the one on the old Wave, hardly more than that on a Vic Classic. The tiny screwdriver was just about useless for anything I dealt with, including eyeglasses. There was no awl, which I use a fair amount, or good workaround other than carrying a supplementary SAK.

Although I found myself having to make too many allowances for these deficiencies, the deal breaker was the blade folding on me in use. After the second time it happened, I sent the Charge to Leatherman Warranty. They returned it, claiming everything was within spec. Sadly, I soldier on with my clunky but reliable Super Tool 200 (and recently a newish Vic Swisstool).

To all who like the Charge, I wish you well. But I am no longer among that number. :(

The Charge is my third Leatherman. I have yet to put it through serious use, so only time will tell if I will keep it. That said, the Charge Ti and Xti are due to be replaced early 2007. Have seen pictures of these and it seems to be a step backward. The titanium handles are gone, replaced by black anodized aluminium handles.

I had the Charge and sold it. I like the old style leatherman Wave better. No short bit changers, screwdrivers reach where needed and the scissors rocks.

I just got a new Wave and can finally comment on it. I don't mind the short bit driver -- 'course I haven't HAD to screw any screws yet, just mild testing. As to the smaller scissors, I realized that I carried my old Wave for years and never had to cut anything with the scissors more substantial than a string here or a piece of paper there. As such, I think I'm fine with the new, smaller scissors.

i've had no complaints so far :)

the first set i got were useless as needle nose pliers, as the fron 1/4" didnt actually make contact on the pliars. i tried sanding it down and hand grinding teeth (a complete failure), and leatherman still sent me a new set.

i ended up breaking the tip off of the blade a few months back... havent gotten around to sharpening it out, though i know leatherman would send me a new one if i asked them to.

"I am the tool"...I was overheard yesterday going from the office into the yard to remove license plates from a totalled car at my job in the afternoon!

the leatherman takes all I can throw at it and much more!

theyre grrrrRRRRRRRREAT!

Ron

Back