"It's a Jungle in There" (LA Times article)

I can't believe some people can be so oblivious to basic human instincts. hear is a copy of the e-mail I sent to that guy.Hello Martin,

I am gonna first ask that you excuse my grammar. My wife is an editor and I ain't too bad myself but I don't have the time this morning.

I understand that you are making a social commentary of how suvivalist thought entered into the mainstream media.

I won't say that we are untouchable by any force in the universe. You make it sound like life is so easy and nature never has any surprises for us and all we need to do is sit back in our surburban houses and drink martinis. That might be your complancent lifestyle. I travel all over the world and go to some strange places and you never know what street might be the wrong street but I have wanderlust and adventure thirst. just because you live on the well paved SAFE road. you shouldn't comment on others who really live their life to the fullest. There are pioneers and there are people like you who come after those who made it safe and say," why is everyone saying we have to watch our backs, it looks safe to me."

Your article reminded me of when I was in college in NY and so many of us artist/intellectuals made fun of the rest of the counrty saying how backwards and sad america was. Until one day I realized that I ain't even seen this damn country. So I literally got a backpack and hitchhiked around the country. I learned a hell of a lot about the people and I also learned some awesome survival techinques.

If you want to continue writing snooty commentary, I challenge you to leave your sheltered existence ( the cell phones, the house or apt and job and wander america on foot then come back and read your shallow commentary.

sincerely,

Chris Aloia

Good letter, Chris. I'll simply add that the article's point of view is evident in its title and sub-heading; i.e., who is "we"? "Our" mind?

Back